Author Topic: Jane Fryat(t), Fryet(t), Friat  (Read 794 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jane Fryat(t), Fryet(t), Friat
« on: Friday 01 May 20 06:02 BST (UK) »
I note that there are people on here who have the surname interest of Fryat(t), Fryet(t), Friat etc.   I’m wondering if anyone on here has managed to solve a riddle that I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to solve.

My ancestor William Smith married Jane Fryett “of Thaxted”, 18 June 1786 at Felsted, Essex.
I can only find two Jane Fryatts who could be William Smith’s wife.
1) Jane Fryatt baptised 20 Feb 1763 at Great Easton, Essex the daughter of Joseph & Jane.
2) Jane Fryatt baptised 20 Feb 1763 at Great Easton, Essex the daughter of Isaac & Susannah.
The problem is I’ve only been successful in finding a burial and a marriage for the Jane Fryatt who married William Smith, that marriage offered no clues as to which Jane Fryatt she was because witnesses were Isaac and Sarah Smith.  So, I’m still left with the dilemma of which Jane Fryatt married William, I’m desperately hoping someone somehow has managed to solve the problem.

I have found the marriages of the parents of the two Jane Fryatts:-
Isaac Fryatt married Susannah Samuell 29 Nov 1756 at Gt Easton, they had 3 (known) children all baptised at Gt Easton, Susannah 26 Nov 1758, Frances 1 Mar 1761 & Jane 20 Feb 1763.

Joseph Fryatt married Jane Jarvice 5 Oct 1761 at Gt Easton, they had 3 (known) children all baptised at Gt Easton, *Elizabeth 11 Oct 1761, Jane 20 Feb 1763 & Meriah 20 Jul 1766.

* William and Jane (nee Fryatt) Smith named their first child, Elizabeth, I’m not sure whether Elizabeth can be taken as a clue although William Smith’s parents William Smith and Ann Saward did not name a daughter Elizabeth, Ann Saward’s parents did not name a daughter Elizabeth.
William and Jane Smith named their second son Isaac but I think he is named after his grandfather Isaac Saward.
William Smith and his wife Jane Fryatt did not name children Susannah, Joseph or surprisingly Jane, or at least I haven’t found a child of theirs named Jane.

Has anyone already solved the problem of which Jane Fryatt married William Smith? 
Or know of another Jane Fryatt marriage, one likely to be one of the two I mentioned?

I am aware of the marriage of a Jane Fryatt to John Page 22 Oct 1776 at Gt Easton, she was a widow when she married John Page, this Jane was obviously born well before 1763.  That Jane Fryatt who married John Page I suspect was the Jane Fryatt baptised 28 Aug 1737 at Rivenhall, Essex, the daughter of Isaac & Mary Fryatt.

Any thought, ideas, suggestions most welcome.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Fryat(t), Fryet(t), Friat
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
The original image for the marriage on SEAX says both William Smith and Jane Fryett were of the parish of Felsted. He signed his name, the others made their mark
#54 in register ref DP 99/1/6

#56 is the marriage of James Jarvis and Maria Fryett both single and of the parish, witnesses are William Smith, signed (the signatures looked the same) and Elizabeth Fryett made her mark.

So is it possible Jane, Maria and Elizabeth are sisters?

ADDED this would point to Joseph Fryett and Jane Jarvice

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Quote;
I am aware of the marriage of a Jane Fryatt to John Page 22 Oct 1776 at Gt Easton, she was a widow when she married John Page, this Jane was obviously born well before 1763.  That Jane Fryatt who married John Page I suspect was the Jane Fryatt baptised 28 Aug 1737 at Rivenhall, Essex, the daughter of Isaac & Mary Fryatt.

If she was a Widow she would not be the Daug of Isaac/Mary Fryatt

There is a Burial of a JOSEPH Fryatt 21 Mar 1769 so the Jane F who married John Page may be his Widow nee Jarvice
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
I think amondg cracked it.

Your quote findem;

Joseph Fryatt married Jane Jarvice 5 Oct 1761 at Gt Easton, they had 3 (known) children all baptised at Gt Easton, *Elizabeth 11 Oct 1761, Jane 20 Feb 1763 & Meriah 20 Jul 1766.

Meriah is likely Maria :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that amondg I feel certain you have as Trish put it "cracked it", I just didn't think of going that route, the combination of James Jarvis, Maria Fryett, William Smith and Elizabeth Fryett is pretty good evidence.

I would think Elizabeth and Maria are sisters, I had Meriah down for a Maria in my mind.

I had begun to think that the problem would not be solved.  ;D

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
I think amondg cracked it.

Your quote findem;

Meriah is likely Maria :)

I agree with you Trish I'm sure amomdg has "cracked it" and I thought Meriah was a Maria.  :) 

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

You stated "If she was a Widow she would not be the Daug of Isaac/Mary Fryatt", you are of course absolutely right, I copied that out of my notes, in that part of my notes I was reminding myself not to totally discount a Fryatt marrying a Fryatt.

In a couple or more marriage I've found a widow marrying under her maiden name, I realise that's not the norm.  One example is an ancestor Jane Anthony, her first marriage was at Coggeshall to James Howard he died and she then married my ancestor Michael Dalton at Coggeshall.  In the marriage banns she was referred to as Jane Howard or Hayward, the marriage entry referred to her as Jane Anthony.

The only reason I posted the John Page & Jane Fryatt marriage was to advise people that I knew of it and so avoid anyone wasting their time on it, I had dismissed it as being not of help.   Thanks for pointing it out though, it wouldn't be the first time I've gone off on a fool's errand and probably not the last either.   ::)  ;D

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 20 05:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry Trish, I forgot to say thank you for your help.  :-[

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 May 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)