Author Topic: Sarah Grant FRENCH born c 1863 Bristol married Frederick W CHAPPELL 27 Oct 1881  (Read 922 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
1861 Sarah French is born c 1809 Cattgate, Somerset
(other Census c 1802-1809 Somerset)

There is this Bapt;
Sarah FINNER
04 May 1805, St Peter, Catcott
Parents WM/SARAH
Their 1st child appears to be ANN 1795 she died the following year.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Grant FRENCH born c 1863 Bristol married Frederick W CHAPPELL 27 Oct 1881
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Sarah Grant FRENCH's father was a deceased shoemaker in 1881, this doesn't seem to match the Francis who was married to Elizabeth SMITHER.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Grant FRENCH born c 1863 Bristol married Frederick W CHAPPELL 27 Oct 1881
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Sarah's address when she married was 35 Apsley Road, Clifton, and she is there in 1881 aged 19 as just Sarah FRENCH a domestic servant.

Class: RG11; Piece: 2482; Folio: 56; Page: 14

There is also in 1881 a Sarah A FRENCH aged 20 with her aunt Harriet SMITHER in Surrey.

Class: RG11; Piece: 792; Folio: 24; Page: 10

In 1891 Sarah's sister Mary Elizabeth is with Harriet SMITHER.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I think that Sarah has given this 'Grant French' name to herself and her father but at the moment I have no idea who she was.

https://postimg.cc/ZBfcs21w

Offline HelenX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I agree that Sarah Grant FRENCH is likely to be Sarah Anne FRENCH, and that she may well have changed her middle name to Grant, also adding Grant to  her father's name, for reasons only known to herself.

There do seem to be some rats smelling in this story - if indeed her parents are Francis FRENCH and Elizabeth nee SMITHER(S) and it does seem likely that they were, Francis FRENCH had not died at the time of Sarah's marriage to Frederick William CHAPPELL, and neither was he a shoemaker.  Francis was alive at the time of the 1911 census, where he is recorded as being a widower age 76, living with his housekeeper in Monkton, Pembrokeshire.  His occupation (as before) being recorded as a gardener.

I don't know whether Sarah's mother was alive at the time of Sarah's marriage, but she certainly had been at the time of the 1881 census nearly 7 months beforehand.

Was there a falling out between Sarah and one or both of her parents, meaning that she moved to Bristol to become a live-in servant, possibly having little if anything to do with them from that time onwards?