Author Topic: How many generations on for a descendant to carry less than 2% ethnicity?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many generations on for a descendant to carry less than 2% ethnicity?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 14:59 BST (UK) »

Yes, - Manchester and Leeds.

The name Michaels/Michaelis comes up a lot...

Romilly.
Freebmd shows several Jewish Michaelis in Stockport and Manchester districts. Michaels is definitely a common Jewish surname. I would say try to form family groups and work out if you can track each child you can find. If one goes missing, then you might have a clue to a name change or emigration.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Sounds Greek perhaps?

For interest, my Jewish of 6% on FTDNA and 9.6% on My Heritage comes from a 2 x great grandmother. You may need to look back a generation or two from your known Wilsons.

Regarding the original query about less than 2% - I thought such a small amount was negligible and possibly just down to "noise".
Can't see any Michaelis with obvious Greek first names on FreeBMD. 1-2% could be noise, but often is not and can be confirmed to a particular ancestor.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:17 BST (UK) »

I found Moritz Michaelis/or Michaels, - who was a business man in Manchester until he emigrated to Melbourne, Australia in the 1850's.

I'm a DNA match to his great granddaughter in Melbourne.

I found a biographical entry for him on a Australian Site, but I can't find any obvious link to my Grandfather.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, - Manchester and Leeds.
The name Michaels/Michaelis comes up a lot...
Romilly.
Freebmd shows several Jewish Michaelis in Stockport and Manchester districts. Michaels is definitely a common Jewish surname. I would say try to form family groups and work out if you can track each child you can find. If one goes missing, then you might have a clue to a name change or emigration.

Thanks melba_schmelba.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.