Author Topic: Contact tracing, a rant  (Read 6358 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Contact tracing, a rant
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 May 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
And of course it only knows where the phone has been, not who was using it at the time, we have two phones, one pay as you go, the other on contract, the pay phone stays at home, the other is with whoever is out at the time.

Some people have family contracts, and phones within the Family are common property.

Mike

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 May 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
I have a very cheap phone on PAYG that is used for emergency purposes only.  OH has an even cheaper phone on PAYG that he hasn't even used yet.  I have no intention of buying a Smartphone even if the contract was free.  I have far better things to do with my life than spend it staring at a phone to see if anyone 'likes' me.  The sad thing is, if I had one, I know that is what I would be doing.

If they are able to track you for these purposes, what else could they do in the future?  It doesn't bear thinking about.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 May 20 19:29 BST (UK) »
People are being tracked by Google every time they go out with their smart phones and the information is being supplied to the authorities - this is how they know how many people are visiting parks etc.
I don't have a smart phone, just a "steam driven" PAYG.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 May 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that it works by bluetooth, so if you have the app downloaded and you are near someone else who also had the app downloaded it records it. Then if one of you later reports they have symptoms everyone who has been in contact will be informed.

Slightly worrying if they do at some point they say certain groups of people aren't allowed out, as they could check if you are breaking quarantine. However, I presume in that case you could just turn off the bluetooth, I only turn mine on when I need it anyway. Or you just delete the app from your phone.

As said before not everyone has a smart phone, but I suspect this is really aimed at people who will be out and about a lot - going to work, travelling on public transport etc and most of those will have smart phones.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 May 20 19:54 BST (UK) »

As said before not everyone has a smart phone, but I suspect this is really aimed at people who will be out and about a lot - going to work, travelling on public transport etc and most of those will have smart phones.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement I think.  I don't have a smart phone because I don't have a need for one but I do go to work, I go out a lot to shops, restaurants, pubs, theatres etc. although  I don't use public transport.  I don't see that a smart phone is a necessary accessory to a normal life.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 May 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
It's not compulsory so if you don't have a smart phone or don't want to download the app you don't have to. I have a smartphone, I find it very useful for a number of things but I won't be downloading the app, I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with it but also as I haven't been within a million miles of anyone (OK, slight exaggeration), it wouldn't have anything to work on.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 May 20 20:23 BST (UK) »
It’s to be trialled on the Isle of Wight and everybody is to be encouraged to download it.

Please will someone tell our gov. that not everyone has, or can afford, or can use the necessary smartphone and associated unlimited access contract.

Mike
A subset of people have smart phones
A subset of smart phone owners will use the app
One point of the TRIAL is to determine if that will be enough to be effective.

Just because you aren't in that subset doesn't invalidate the trial any more than the fact that I don't ride a bike makes cycle lanes useless.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 May 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
It's not compulsory so if you don't have a smart phone or don't want to download the app you don't have to. I have a smartphone, I find it very useful for a number of things but I won't be downloading the app, I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with it but also as I haven't been within a million miles of anyone (OK, slight exaggeration), it wouldn't have anything to work on.

I will be downloading the app as soon as it becomes available, I have to visit the supermarket once a week for shopping and the idiots in there think social distances ends when they walk through the door (they queue halfway round the carpark 2 metres apart then barge past in the isles).
I would rather know if I had been in contact with anyone with the virus as then I could distance myself from my wife and disabled granddaughter.

If the government want to track me through they are welcome to they will not learn anything they do not already know by tracking my car's built in satnav, my car's built in emergency phone, my smart tv, my computer internet, my phone signal etc., etc., rather than be paranoid I would rather be informed.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 May 20 20:49 BST (UK) »
My technical ability and knowledge is limited.
I haven't been anywhere very far from my home since 'before' lockdown began.
I do own a smartphone.
I don't break the law (any law) so don't have to worry about the authorities knowing when and where I have been.
I understand some have privacy concerns.
 BUT
Though I have no idea if it will help, in the face of over 28,00 families having lost those they love -
I really can't see why I should not do whatever I can to 'possibly' help limit the loss of life.  If the govt knows that I went to the Co-op to buy some eggs, I can live with that.

If downloading this app and making sure I take my phone with me wherever I go saves just ONE life

I will be one happy Boo - cos that life saved could just be one I know and care about deeply

Boo