Author Topic: Dna result - No Viking  (Read 1024 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dna result - No Viking
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
It just means you haven't inherited those bits of DNA that the company you tested with have labelled as Scandinavian or Germanic.

This could be because different companies have different categories that they label, and will change the labels themselves. I used to be labelled as over 20% Irish, now I am under 10%. But clearly my DNA/ancestry hasn't changed.

You also don't inherit all the DNA of your ancestors. There will come a point when some ancestors just won't have contributed any DNA to the markers you are tested for at all.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 May 20 18:39 BST (UK) »

My Haplogroup is, (I think) a Viking one?

It's:  I1a, Subclade: I1a1d

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

guest189040

« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
My own recently updated Ancestry DNA ethnicity estimate now has me at 2% Sweden/Denmark.

As I can trace my ancestry back to Rollo The Viking, 1st Duke of Normandy there must be others who I have yet to find.

Seriously.

Take all the ethnicity estimates not with a pinch of salt but with a catering sized pack of Saxo.

Or as Captain Barbosa often states in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies ..... as loose guidelines.