Author Topic: Carl Lobeck  (Read 309 times)

Offline roymck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carl Lobeck
« on: Monday 04 May 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
For many years been barking up the wrong tree on this man and new information has thrown all my research in the bin . Carl or Karl Ernst August Lobeck first appears on my research now as being Married in 1866 to a Mary Benjamin this is fact . He came from Memel Prussia or sometimes he says Luhmannsdorf In Pomerania near enough the same area . In later years he anglicised his name to Charles .
The first census he is on is 1871 in Falmouth Cornwall as a Ships chandler . I cannot find him on the 1861 census . I thought it was him on board HMS Cordelia in 1861 in Sydney Australia with the name Gusre as Gustave but research shows in as not being him . He became a Naturalised British Subject in 1873 . I know pretty much everything about his life post 1866 . He was obviously wealthy at the time with a servant or 2 .
What I don’t know is how and when he came to the UK and if he is not on the 1861 census then it narrows down to 1861 - 1866 when he married .
Any thoughts , can anybody help ?
Thanks Roy

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carl Lobeck
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
I see that he married as Charles Lobeck to Mary Benjamin, Jun qtr 1866 Clifton.

What paternal information did he give? Have the marriage witnesses been traced?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline roymck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi , he describes his Father as being a Charles Lobeck a farmer , seems unlikely he was a Charles as it doesn’t seem to be a Prussian name , and he would have been farming in Prussia , apart from that know nothing of his father , I wish I did .
William Benjamin was the brides father and also a witness . He was a Hotel / Pub owner who was also a champion bare knuckle boxer .
The other witness is impossible to read but it is certainly not a relation as from what I can make out of the name is not one recognise .

Offline roymck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 07:16 BST (UK) »
His date of birth is 25/11/1837 , does he appear on a any passenger lists between prior to his wedding in 1866? Can anybody have a quick look for me please .

Thanks Roy