Author Topic: Finding the parents of John Carr Abt 1812-1893, from Appleton / Marton / Malton  (Read 1019 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
It was Mary Ann Jordan & at Emanuel Church Bolton per www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
There is a Mary Ann Jordan b 1813 Bolton in the 1851 census - husband James.  Still together in 1861 but can't see an 1871 entry or a death for James 1861-1865
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline stucarr81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There is a Mary Ann Jordan b 1813 Bolton in the 1851 census - husband James.  Still together in 1861 but can't see an 1871 entry or a death for James 1861-1865

I checked deaths for James Jordan between 1861-1865 within a 10 mile radius around Bradford Yorkshire which is the place of residence I have for John and Mary Ann Carr in the 1871 Census. I get three entries from England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007 but I don't know how to drill in further:
1. 1861 Halifax Yorkshire volume 9A page 300
2. 1863 Leeds Yorkshire volume 9B page 297
3. 1865 Leeds Yorkshire volume 9B page 325.

Is there a way to check if any of the above had left behind a wife Mary Ann?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is this your family?

Census 1841  at New Bridge Lane Stockport Cheshire
CARR John       30y  basket maker   n(ot born in county)
CARR Hannah   30y                         y(es born in county)
CARR William     9y                         y
CARR James       2y                         y

Census 1851 at 2 Gills Passage Halifax Yorkshire
CARR John                  39y  basket maker           b. Appleton Yorkshire
CARR Hannah              44y                                 b. Cheadlemach Bland Cheshire
CARR William Edward   19y    basket maker         b. Stockport Cheshire
CARR George Henry     14y    basket maker         b. Stockport Cheshire
CARR James Oratia      11y    scholar                  b. Stockport Cheshire

Census 1861 at Chorley Street Little Bolton Lancashire
WALSH Beth      58y  head  wid                                    b. Coppull Lancashire
WALSH James    22y  son gas fitter                               b. Anderton Lancashire
WALSH Moses     19y son   engine pattern maker           b. Anderton Lancashire
RYDER Betty       81y  mother widow                             b. Heath Charnock Lancashire
CARR John         50y  boarder  basket & skip  maker       b. Malton Yorkshire
CARR John          19y  boarder basket & skip  maker       b. Stockport Chester
CARR Mary         52y  visitor                                         b. Stockport Cheshire

Census 1871   at Sandbeds Road Clayton   Yorkshire
CARR John        60y    basket maker                              b. Manchester Lancashire
CARR Mary        60y   wife                                             b. Malton Yorkshire

Census 1861 - it would be reasonable to see the two John CARRs to be father and son.

Where is the younger John in 1851?

John CARR and John CARR are boarders......Mary CARR is a visitor. That does not sound like they are a three person family?

Offline stucarr81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi, thanks. I am highly confident that the 1841 and 1851 Census records are correct. Post the death of his wife Hannah Chandley in 1856, I am not as confident about this second marriage but the records you have summarised do line up with what I've found. Basically I cannot find a death of John Carr or a second marriage to Mary Ann, shortly after 1856 although he seems to be the only basket maker in the area of that name, age and claimed places of birth in each Census record. Two anomalies from 1861 onwards include:

1. In 1861, boarding four years after his wife Hannah's death could be right although this 19 year old fellow boarder and basket maker of the same name, is a mystery to me as he's not listed as a son on the 1851 Census. The visitor Mary Carr aged 52 could be his second wife but not sure

2. In 1871  John's place of birth is Manchester Lancashire and Mary Ann's is Malton Yorkshire - it would make more sense if those places of birth were inverted. It's possible they were transcribed in the wrong order but I'm not sure.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Use this -  see how you go with my notes. Good luck

Cheshire Parish Register Database

http://cprdb.csc.liv.ac.uk/Live/v3.6/database.html

To find marriage 4 October 1831 for John CARR and Hannah CHANDLEY.

It might look awkward to use at first. Select the event....BDM.....at next page write in surname

eg.....CHANDLEY.....hit "submit query. 

Next screen will have names.....go to bottom of page to pick the next page   eg  1 of 8....2 of 8....

Along the headings along the top eg bride...groom.......is heading "full"

this column has square box with ball on top. Click on the ball, then the box....and you see list of information with abbreviated labels  eg  G for groom, B for bride  W for witness.

Go back and try baptisms.

Offline stucarr81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi wivenhoe

Thanks for this but is it the correct link? I tried using it in both Chrome and Microsoft Edge but got the following message in both instances, unable to locate any input fields:

"
 select place_code, place_name from cprdb.places where place_code in (select distinct parish_code from cprdb.) order by place_code
                                                                                                             *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00903: invalid table name

"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile