Author Topic: Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan  (Read 2173 times)

Offline nkiaora

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth and Samuel had eleven children. After David was born in 1912, all of the others were born in Scotland. Son Robert was killed in the Hassockrigg Colliery in 1922. The family emigrated to USA and Canada in the twenties.

Great investigating. I am going to quiz the family about the story that Grace died in childbirth. Perhaps someone has more information that can clear this up.

Noble, McVicker, Stevenson, Crow, Baxter, Dean, Alcock, Dunlop

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 02:18 GMT (UK) »
There probably is a thread of truth to these family stories. Perhaps it was Grace's mother that died in childbirth?  Just a thought.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 November 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Robert Stevenson's father Quintin died Nov 7, 1877 and exactly two weeks later on Nov. 21, Robert's daughter Elizabeth was born.

Also- notice that in the 1851 Census there is a James Dunlop, age 20, servant, living with a John Stevenson (age 30) and his wife Mary Ann (age 28) in the same townland. ???

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 March 21 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Update: Although I have found no more new information on this Robert Stevenson, I have found a Robert STENSON in Broughdone townland in the 1825 Tithe Applotments who might be the person I am looking for.  Can I assume that STENSON is an abbreviated form of STEVENSON?

Offline nkiaora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 March 21 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.  I have hand written notes from a great aunt who said that their Stevenson family was sometimes referred as Ste'enson, or simply Steenson. So your finding makes sense.
If you have done DNA, see if you can find any matches to any persons named McVicker, or Noble. Several of my family (McVicker) have done DNA.   
Noble, McVicker, Stevenson, Crow, Baxter, Dean, Alcock, Dunlop

Offline Doublebassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 15:47 BST (UK) »
In Griffiths Valuation, 1862, there is a Quinton Stevenson leasing a house, office, land from a Hugh Montgomery in Lismavallaghan, Dunaghy parish, Co. Antrim. He also is the immediate lessor (next line) and leases to a Nathaniel Morton. Next line is a William Stevenson leasing from same Hugh Montgomery.

In the 1825 Tithe Applotments, same townland, is a Robert Stephenson. I presume this is their father.

Does anyone connect these two Stevensons to a father named Robert and can tell me more about Robert?

(there is an older thread on this board with a Quinten Stevenson but I think he is a different person)

I have DNA matches that Ancestry suggests are connected to me via the mother of a Quinten Stevenson. It says Quinten’s parents were Robert Stevenson and Rose Morton. I’m interested in Mortons from Clough near Ballymena.

There is a Robert Butler Stevenson who has a will in 1875. The primary beneficiary is Nathaniel Morton. But there are several Nathaniel Mortons as well as several Quinten Stevensons.

I think the ones related to me are all based in Ballymoney, but it must be the same family. Quinten is a very distinctive name, and there is a Mary Morton visiting a Stevenson family in Lismavallaghan on the 1851 Census,

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 01:00 BST (UK) »
Wish I could help you, Doublebassy, but I have found no new clues for my Robert Stevenson. But Clough is the area where my PAUL family originated and I have reason to believe they were closely connected (maybe even related) to the MARTIN family of Martinstown. I realize that MORTON's are a different family.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 01:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you could send me a private message with your ancestry DNA username and maybe we have a mutual ancestor from Clough? Thanks.