Author Topic: Albert Lambe - Cookstown, Tyrone  (Read 1572 times)

Offline willzwazhere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Lambe - Cookstown, Tyrone
« on: Friday 08 May 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am going to give this a go with very little information, hoping for a miracle. So apologies, in advance.

I am looking for a man named Albert Lambe, who has most likely passed away. He was my grandfather and my Dad's father. He was married to my grandmother called Elizabeth (Lizzy) Lambe (maiden name Bell) and had two kids, Albert John Lambe (my father) and Alexander Lambe. All of which have passed away. I was told that after the kids were born Albert Lambe left the wife and kids to go to the Army in England and never was heard of again. I am not sure when he would have left, but it would have been between 1944 and 1950. This is what I have been told. I am not sure if this is what happened but this is all I can say (in the meantime). I don't know his date of birth or full name. he might have been English but not 100% sure. We are situated in Cookstown, Northern Ireland.

Apologies, again but if this rings a bell with anyone please respond.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Will

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Lambe - Cookstown, Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
When he married Elizabeth Bell at Derryloran St Luran Church of Ireland Cookstown on 5 April 1941, he was recorded as Albert William Lamb, a bachelor of full age, a soldier residing at Cookstown Orange Hall (maybe a temporary billet ???). 

The bad news is that his father's name and occupation were crossed out (ie. left blank).

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
If Albert served in the army then he will have a service record somewhere which could provide you with more details. Unfortunately though I'm not sure if you would be able to request one without his date of birth. Maybe you can ask the Army.

Have a look here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline willzwazhere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
When he married Elizabeth Bell at Derryloran St Luran Church of Ireland Cookstown on 5 April 1941, he was recorded as Albert William Lamb, a bachelor of full age, a soldier residing at Cookstown Orange Hall (maybe a temporary billet ???). 

The bad news is that his father's name and occupation were crossed out (ie. left blank).

Thanks Gaffy, hopefully, I am replying to you correctly.

I've been searching for ages and you found so much detail so quickly. Can I ask where you found this detail, please? Shame his father's details were crossed out. Now I am confused as to how he was Lambe and my father became Lambe. I have a few questions, please -

What does a bachelor of full age mean and temporary billet mean?

Again, thank you so much.

Offline willzwazhere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
If Albert served in the army then he will have a service record somewhere which could provide you with more details. Unfortunately though I'm not sure if you would be able to request one without his date of birth. Maybe you can ask the Army.

Have a look here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Thank you. I may look into this one.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
If the father's details were crossed out it's quite likely he might have been illegitimate.
Bachelor of full age means he was single and aged 21 years or older.
Temporary billet means that he may have been living there whilst in service.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 May 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
"of age" meaning generally over the age of 21.  Temporary billet would be where he was staying while with his army regiment.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
I don't  find an Albert (William) Lamb(e) in the Irish civil registration birth indexes, so he may have been born in England or elsewhere.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 May 20 19:04 BST (UK) »
Lots of American soldiers stationed in Cookstown area during WWII. Wonder if birth certificates for sons give a regiment or service number.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!