Author Topic: RAF WW2 service paper query  (Read 1328 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF WW2 service paper query
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
Newark Air Museum is on part of the site that as RAF Winthorpe. There was a Lancaster there when I went last but that was some time ago.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Steve.

Medpat if you do happen to go to Newark Museum again apparently the propeller from the Lancaster is now in a display inside.

Great to remember the story of my Uncle.  thanks again for all your help.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 14:42 BST (UK) »
can l just say that this is the place to start with any RAF research, the best site on the net.

While I yield to no-one in my admiration for, and dedication to, Rootschat and for those who contribute, I would observe that I, in common with many others I suspect, also use two web sites dedicated purely to RAF research and at least one other dedicated purely to WW2 to support our my/our research.

The abbreviation W/Op (Air) is clear enough and the abbreviation W/Op (Air Gunner) or (AG) is to be found.  The additional LEA is not to be found (or any variant although I believe it to be as written) in the comprehensive listings of RAF trade groups 1938 to 1944, in RAF glossaries or in lists of abbreviations.

A query asking for help on this has, so far, received no definitive response here and has, so far,  defeated experts on a dedicated RAF members site.  The abbreviation receives no relevant hits on any sensible RAF related search.

The above by way of a (lack of) progress report.  I remain optimistic.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
Result!

Thanks to a member on another site I now learn that LEA refers to an RAF scheme whereby Local Education Authorities would recommend/sponsor boys to become apprentices.  In this case they recommended him for training as a Wireless Operator (Air).  The source is quoted https://defenceindepth.co/2019/02/20/your-boys-future-apprentice-training-and-social-mobility-in-the-early-royal-air-force/

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Result!

Thanks to a member on another site I now learn that LEA refers to an RAF scheme whereby Local Education Authorities would recommend/sponsor boys to become apprentices.  In this case they recommended him for training as a Wireless Operator (Air).  The source is quoted https://defenceindepth.co/2019/02/20/your-boys-future-apprentice-training-and-social-mobility-in-the-early-royal-air-force/

MaxD

Very well done. I am an ex-RAF apprentice myself but I entered the service at 16 by walking into the careers office and saying I wanted to join up. I came out having signed on the dotted line and then had to go home and tell my parents what I had done. To say they were not impressed would be very much an understatement. Still I did go on to serve for 24 years so I did manage to convince them that I had made the right decision.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Good for you!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  Real team work in action and a mystery solved.  Brilliant and much appreciated.

Val

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 May 20 06:53 BST (UK) »
A short final note after the searching for the W/Op (Air) answer - in the end the RAF didn't train him as a Wireless Op but as a Flight Engineer.  Rest his soul.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 May 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
My apologies MaxD, l had no intention of offending anyone, though maybe l should have been more specific.
My own experience is such that it was only through this site that l found links to others, RAF COMMANDS to name but one which l am sure you know about. I certainly believe that its a good place to start with Family history of any type. There are so many folk who can help. Just like to give credit where its due.

This site was recommended to me before the RAF specific ones which l then found links to.

Good work on the LEA , knew someone would find it :)

Best regards,

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET