Author Topic: Johanna Stanley / Jane Ada Gray / John William Gray - Dubbo area NSW  (Read 416 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Stanley / Jane Ada Gray / John William Gray - Dubbo area NSW
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 20 00:15 BST (UK) »
The first time I can see Alfred is in 1934 in Mareeba, and then he is in Rockhampton.

Ada is with Henry LOCKYER up to 1916 in Longreach and in 1919 she is in Rockhampton and he is in Longreach.  She is then with Thomas HEALEY from 1925 to 1930 in Herberton, then with William CUMMINGS from 1935 in Herberton, and she died in 1945.

I doubt that Alfred was a LOCKYER and that is why she took him with her.  He was born three years before they married.  Henry states that there were only two children from the marriage.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/55329906

Eric wasn't their son.

Birth

Eric Norris HEALY
Birth date: 27/02/1917
Mother's name: Mary Anne Sharkey NORRIS
Father/parent's name:  Eric NORRIS
1917/C/33

Death

Eric Norris HEALY
Death Date:    30 Oct 1960
Father's name:    Eric NORRIS
Mother's name:    Mary Anne SHARKEY
Registration Year:    1960
Registration Place:    Queensland
Registration Number:    005880
Page Number:    1237

Eric enlisted in WW2 and gave Thomas as his NOK and his POW card names Thomas and Ada as his parents.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

The recording of the names on Eric's birth registration are unusual and you would need to see the cert to know what was going on.  Ancestry also have this birth indexed but this version doesn't appear in the Qld BDM registry.

Name:    Eric Clifford NORRIS
Birth Date:    27 Feb 1917
Registration Year:    1917
Registration Place:    Queensland, Australia
Father:    Eric NORRIS
Mother:    Mary Anne SHARKEY
Registration Number:  33

There may have been alterations to the registration.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 May 20 02:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder if, when Qld BDM were changing over to EDP or the more recent updates to more modern databases if they had problems with software and apparent duplications, I am aware that NSW BDM had significant practical failings with EDP introduction and the cards physically falling ....  I mention the following bdm online index has same first given name, and in same 'quarter' of 1917:

Queensland bdm
Eric Clifford CHERRY, born 14 January 1917
I think reference C3221
https://www.ryersonindex.org/
Ryerson index has funeral notice for Mr Cherry indexed as Courier Mail, 19 March 1997, aged 80.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 May 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Mary Anne SHARKEY married Eric NORRIS  10 October 1916.  Qld bdm #C2743

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wdlocky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 May 20 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone, this is starting to piece together now.  i can't believe how much we have found out in just a few days.

I have found eight possible siblings of Ada Jane Gray born in Dubbo NSW (and at Bundaleer Station, Qld).  I also found a death certificate of an infant brother of hers, James, which states "where born and how long in the Australiasian Colonies or States", "Narrau, NSWales, Native". I think this could explain why it has been difficult to get details in the past. 

With Ada deserting Henry, this explains why the 2 boys were put into an orphanage, and then later collected by their Aunties.  I also know that Alfred Easter Lockyer, turned up one day at Gordon Lockyer's house and stayed for a few days to visit, his son was told that he was not his dad's brother, but he remembers that they acted like they were and it was like a big family reunion.  He was born Alfred Easter Gray "illigitimate" and was adopted by Henry Lockyer when they married.  That would be why Ada took him with her.

I will have to try Ada's parent's now - they have been a bit more difficult.

Deb :)