Author Topic: Samuel Ansell Marriage 1702-1716  (Read 729 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Samuel Ansell Marriage 1702-1716
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hello

Trying to find a marriage record for a Samuel Ansell between 1702 when he was widowed and 1715, around which time, more children of Samuel started being baptised. Have checked all websites I have access to but can't find anything. Likely to be in the Bocking area.

Many thanks, Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Ansell Marriage 1702-1716
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
There is a Samuel Ansell of Bocking who died 1713 probate 8 May he was a cutler and a freeman of that company in London.
The will was written 4 July 1712, he had daughters Mary/Maria wife of Nicholas Potter, Abigail wife of John Dingly, Sarah wife of Emanuel Eldridge of Suffolk - Miller, Priscilla wife of James Lamb and a son Samuel.
It is 7 pages long and he named his daughters Mary and Priscilla as executors.He was a wealthy man.
So I expect that Samuel (jr.) once he inherited some land/property married and the baptisms beginning 1715 are of Samuel (jr.) and his wife.
Ref Essex Record Office D/APbW 2/56

Would this be who you are looking for?

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
Maybe irrelevant …

Bocking PR's has a Samuel Ansell bp 10 Nov 1700. Definitely states he was 36 years old. Son of Samuel

- a transcription says this guy was born 10 Oct 1700. That info is not on the baptism record and birthdate most likely a error in transcription.

Appears this Samuel was born abt 1664.

Could he be the gent whose death & will was mentioned previously?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 02:53 BST (UK) »
More to ponder
All at Bocking:

Mary married Nicholas Potter 25 April 1698 (1696 on ancestry plus they have her name as Mary Angell) but it definitely Ansell.
Abigail married John Dinglee of Finchingfield 23 April 1702 I think it says he is a Tallow Maker.
Priscilla married James Lamb 22 June 1702 (ancestry has her name as Angelle) the name is Ansell, both of Bocking.
I haven't found Sarah to Emanuel Eldridge yet?

Saying each daughter was at minimum 21 then Mary was born circa 1676/7, Abigail 1680/1 and Priscilla possibly between 1674 and 1682.
The will mentions the daughter in order Mary, Abigail, Sarah, Priscilla and last but not least son Samuel.
I think in this case Samuel born circa 1664 wouldn't be the father possibly an older brother.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 03:35 BST (UK) »
Found Sarah Ansell she married Emanuell Eldred 16 November 1699 at Bocking

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks all for looking and input. My ancestor Abraham was baptised in 1714, son of Samuel which threw a spanner in the works as I had Abraham who was baptised in 1701 down as my man but that Abraham died in 1702. So, I have a Samuel born about 1670 but who does give his age on a 1700 record as 36 marrying a Martha Denny in 1692 but she seems to have died in 1702 and then lo and behold appears the birth of an Abraham in 1714 followed in 1718 an Isaac so my thinking is that the widowed Samuel the elder married at least once more but I cannot locate a marriage.  Open to suggestions of course as there seem to have been Samuel and Abraham Ansells in Bocking since records began!

Unless Samuel from 1700 married when he was 13 or 14 of course!

Thanks all, Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Maybe I've been looking at a different Samuel Ansell or the will is for Samuel seniors Dad...back to the drawing board any help appreciated!

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 May 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
So, I still don't have the requested marriage detaiis but have found some more wills and although missing dates, the Samuel in the will you have is definitely Samuel senior . I have definitely traced my tree back further than anticipated and can fill in the details when they become available so thank you lovely people!

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 May 20 04:07 BST (UK) »
In the Bocking registers there is a burial for Mary wife of Samuel 21 May 1716.

So the mother of Abraham 1714 is possibly Mary, but as she died 1716 it means Isaac 1718/9 had a different mother.