Author Topic: Ancestry DNA matches - how to find where they fit?  (Read 693 times)

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA matches - how to find where they fit?
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
I did my Ancestry DNA test four years ago and I now need to knuckle down and sort out the results.

Most of them will, I expect, remain a mystery to me. A lot of the surnames are quite common and I have no way of knowing where the connections might lie if a shared ancestor is not being offered up.  I currently have 23 matches with shared ancestors, 22 at 4th cousin or more remote and some of the connections are not proven.  The other is a second cousin who I know. No mystery there., thankfully.

What I really want to look at is a cluster of four matches, two second cousins and two third cousins, who match with each other, but do not appear to have any of my  surnames in their trees and, although they have a common ancestor, don’t show as having a common ancestor with me.  There are other, more distant matches as well, who match with them all.

With between 91 and 291 cM in common, there is quite a lot of DNA there, but where do I start?

Thanks
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA matches - how to find where they fit?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Keep a separate tree as a 'working directory' or scratch tree and begin to assemble the full trees for each of the matches until you find how they all connect to each other. Chances are this will also be how they connect to you. Look for names in common as well as places. With matches of that size, if there is no obvious connection in 5-6 generations, there is an error somewhere or someone's biological parents are not who they think they are.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Put the common ancestors for the cluster into your own tree as a floating branch. Work on developing the lines down from those common ancestors until you find a time and place where they align with your own research then look for the individual who will link the floating branch into your own tree.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 20:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not with Ancestry so not sure if this will work but have a look at DNA Painter. I've found it very useful to see other matches that share the same bit on a chromosome which can help find more mutual matches and point to where a connection might be.
https://dnapainter.com/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
Ancestry does not have a chromosome browser so you cannot get the detail to put into DNA Painter.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 05:52 BST (UK) »
well I've used the colour coded dots to group them and used Genetic Affairs for clustering. You get 200 free credits to try it out. I'm also using the common ancestor filter as well so I work on the ones I have more of a chance on. I had made notes on when confirmed the mrca  and I've now put the ones which have a possible mrca on but not proved yet. At least with the notes on it draws my attention to possibilities. Also the extend cluster feature is useful. I'd sorted a lot of my common ancestor matches but had quite a few matches for one couple who had a lot of American matches. I've done well with them.