Author Topic: Thomas Chapman, Esq?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Thomas Chapman, Esq?
« on: Sunday 10 May 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for more info of Thomas Chapman, Esq. Mayor of Leicester in 1607 and Recorder of Leicester 1624-1652. He was also one of the benchers of the Inner Temple and was a Sergeant at Law.

I'm trying to find who his wife was and parentage.
He was holding Middletons Manor in Foxton at some point so I assumed he is descended from the Chapmans of Foxton but I cant find anything.

He is baptising children in St Margarets, Leicester from 1616 to 1631 at least.

In 1630 he is living in the chapel of St John the Baptist near Belgrave Gate, Leicester which was letted out as a house.

His wife and son in law, Ambrose Saunders, Gent, are claiming tithes via the execution of his will in 1654 but I cant find the will or his burial, nor does this information mention his wifes name.

Given the connection to the Inner Temple, there is this marriage in 1611 London. Although i think it could be a red herring.
'Thomas Barker alias Chapman, Gent, of the Inner Temple, Son of Edmund Barker alias Chapman of Sibton, Suffolk, Gent. Marries Mary Goodwin, daughter of John Goodwin, Clothier of East Bergholt, Suffolk'

Any more information appreciated.

Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Chapman, Esq?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 20 06:34 BST (UK) »
Have you managed to trace the documents of the manor? There's a chance that they are in an archive somewhere
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
In the Visitation of Leicestershire there's an Edward Chapman of Foxston married to Elizabeth Strelley, daughter of Robert Strelley. Dates aren't given, but two generations before 1619.

https://archive.org/details/TheVisitationOfTheCountyOfLeicesterInTheYear1619/page/n211/mode/2up
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
This is from
HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF LEICESTERSHIRE
Page 564
That portion of the lordship which is known by the name of Middleton’s Manor came by descent to Thomas Chapman esq. one of the benchers of the Inner Temple, who was mayor of Leicester in 1607, recorder there from 1624 to 1652.

Alice, daughter and coheir of Thomas Chapman, esq, of Foxton, serjeant at law, and recorder of Leicester, married Ambrose Saunders.

There is a Thomas Chapman recorded several times in the records of the Inner Temple.

https://archive.org/details/calendarofinnert02inneuoft/page/n13/mode/2up
Pontifex - Bucks

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
There is will of Thomas Chapman of Foxton, yeoman, 1645 (PCC). He had a son named Thomas Chapman, but not the same person. The younger Thomas was to receive houses and land in Foxton when he reached the age of 24.

There is also a will of Simon Chapman of Foxton, yeoman, in 1628 (PCC), He had a son, Thomas, who was to have land and tenements at the age of 21. This is probably the Thomas who died in 1645.

Simon's executors were to be his father Thomas Chapman, his brother Thomas Chapman, and his son Thomas Chapman. His overseers were his brother Richard Chapman and his uncle Richard  Chapman.

I wonder if Simon's brother Thomas might be the mayor of Leicester?
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry, for some reason I didnt get an email notifying me of these responses.

I had already come across Edward Chapman who marries Elizabeth Strelley, daughter of Robert Strelley, Esquire, on another line on my tree.

This Edward has a will in 1614. Styled 'Edward Chapman, Yeoman' He held land at Foxton and Gumley.
For some reason this Edward does not mention his first son. He mentions his Second son Richard, His third son Elias. So I'm not sure if his first son is deceased or not (I assume so)
One of the witnesses to this will was a Thomas Chapman and a Richard Chapman whom Edward called his brother.
He also mentions an Edward Chapman, son? of a Henry Chapman?

In 1627 there is a probate for an Edward Chapman, Gent, of Foxton.

Thomas could be the son of a wealthy Thomas Chapman, Gent, who has a will in Foxton 1635 and a very substantial inventory in 1636 worth £918.
This Thomas gives the greatest parts of his lands at Foxton, Gumley and Great Bowden to his son Thomas and heir males of the body of Thomas. He also mentions children of his son Symon Chapman and a brother Richard.
A Simon Chapman of Foxton marries Lucy Baddeley at Gumley 1609.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent