Author Topic: Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Vienna: synagogue death records from 1924
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 May 20 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The marriage cert shows him as being a Kaufmann, i.e. salesman/trader/dealer/shopkeeper...

A bit vague, unfortunately.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 May 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
...actually I seem to have found Margit on Geni, which I don't have full access to. Odd because she didn't seem to come up on Ancestry or JewishGen.

Daughter of Izsák Friedmann and Szidónia Friedmann
Sister of Kálmán Friedmann; Ferenc Friedmann; Szerén Friedmann; Regine Friedmann; Ernest Friedmann and Irén Friedmann « less

I'll search using these spellings. So the Margit from Kassa isn't the right one then. Does anyone have access to Geni that could tell me more about her, the entry is managed by a Tomas Kertesz.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 May 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
none of these Friedmann names seem to come up on Ancestry at all in a connected family group:

izsak, szidonia, Kálmán, Ferenc, Szerén, Regine, Ernest, Irén

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 May 20 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Karen, that's such wonderfully helpful document deciphering...

Do you know if the notes next to the witness signatures say anything interesting?

this is all so very much appreciated
Colee

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 May 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
Do you know if the notes next to the witness signatures say anything interesting?

You are very welcome!  :)

I can't read the notes - the scan is too small - but I think it is simply the standard legal jargon with dates and references, maybe to the banns.

Maybe someone else here can confirm that..?

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 May 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
Ok no worries thank you so much Karen!

Do you know how I can access the Geni info which seems to have located Margit Friedmann and family but they are not coming up on ANY other database that I check, which is most frustrating!

thank you again
Colee

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 May 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Colee,

the note is very hard to read. Seems to be a lot of legalese about the divorce. Die Ehe wird fuer aufgeloest erklaert.

Hope this helps, regards Peonie

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 May 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

Huge thanks for help so far with the divorce document. I have found the original document again, annoyingly I had forgotten where it was and hadn't properly made a note of the link, so it has taken me a while to pin it down again. Ancestry only has Vienna docs up to 1921, I had to go through the Familysearch catalogue, Matrikel, 1826-1943.

Here is the link for the marriage doc which will be a better quality of anyone is able to see it more. Apologies for the poor quality before.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G1VJ-967S?i=429&cat=196164

Very very many thanks
Emma

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 May 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Graham again for pointing me to Jewish Gen, I've used the database in the past but it has been developed massively since then - I posted the Hebrew on the site and it has kindly been translated, confirming names/occupations as the following:

The date, February 20th, 1929, is also given in Hebrew, below: the 10th of Adar I, 5589.

His information: Miksa Weiss, Hebrew name: Miksa son of Yakov, Budapest, occupation: electrical engineer, 42 years old, widower.

Her information: Margit nee Friedmann, Hebrew name: Margit daughter of Yitzchak, Bihar/Bikar Udwari, occupation: seamstress/dressmaker, 34 years old, single.

I also realised that the register runs across both pages, with new info on the right page (see photo attached). It seems that some of the divorcees paid a tax and others didn't (including Margit/Miksa) - does anyone know why this might have been the case?

thank you
Colee