Author Topic: 1920 Orphanages Hereford, Herefordshire Unitary Authority,Herefordshire, England  (Read 432 times)

Offline davefamilyhistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to locate Orphanage in the Hereford, England area during the 1920's.  My dad was born on February 1, 1921 in Hereford, England.  His mother's name on record I found was listed as Barbara C. Wheeler Bullwinkle.  My dad's name was Kenneth Bullwinkle.  All we have is his adoption paperwork which shows he was adopted on October 27, 1934 by a widow Clara Emma Gower in Hereford, England which would have made him 13 yrs old.  He was then given the name Kenneth Gower.
He only revealed that he was adopted about 6 mos before he passed away and gave me his adoption paper.  He passed away in May 2016 at age 95.  He never spoke where he lived for the first 13 yrs of his life so we have to assume he was placed in an orphanage in that area.  He said he was given up at birth.  I've registered on Ancestry but have hit a roadblock.  His mother was Barbara Wheeler and I have some of her information but no record of marrying a Bullwinkle.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!  Dave

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Do you have his original birth certificate from this registration? 

Mar 1921 Hereford

Volume 6a Page 861

Bullwinkle Kenneth

His birth mother may not have been married but her information would be on the original birth certificate. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I don't know if this family is connected but there is a Barbara W Bullwinkle with mothers maiden name Wheeler.

There is also a Barbara Cecil Wheeler born c1899 who doesn't seem to have married.

It's hard to find out what actually happened as there are several possibilities for where he lived until he was adopted  :-\

His mother may have died or married or her family looked after him for a time.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Welcome to RootsChat Dave  :)

This site lists childrens homes/institutions in Herefordshire
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/Herefordshire.shtml?LMCL=azf4BH

Kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Do you have his original birth certificate from this registration? 

Mar 1921 Hereford

Volume 6a Page 861

Bullwinkle Kenneth

His birth mother may not have been married but her information would be on the original birth certificate.

I do have this page but unfortunately do not have a copy of his birth certificate.  I'm not even sure if I am able to obtain a copy of his certificate.  On that registration page under Mother's Maiden Surname it lists Wheeler and on the front page it lists Bullwinkle as mothers maiden name .If only we had asked more questions when he was living.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I don't know if this family is connected but there is a Barbara W Bullwinkle with mothers maiden name Wheeler.

There is also a Barbara Cecil Wheeler born c1899 who doesn't seem to have married.

It's hard to find out what actually happened as there are several possibilities for where he lived until he was adopted  :-\

His mother may have died or married or her family looked after him for a time.

And that's exactly the infor I have found on Ancestry.  I'm going to look thru the listings of orphanages and also going to try to get a copy of his birth certificate, all we have is his adoption certificate