Author Topic: allerton cemetery liverpool  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: allerton cemetery liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
'Er again.

I looked at the burial register entry for Joseph Radcliffe, that too gives the Division as General, Section 11, Grave No 477. So its definitely the same grave.

Interestingly in 1941 when Joseph died, the burial register had extra columns which were not in the included in the edition of 1968 when Eleanor died.

The really helpful one is "If Private Grave , name of grave owner" and for this entry it says Ellen Radcliffe.

As she was the grave owner, it makes sense that she was also buried there.

Boo

Offline ards g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
I noticed the word general others around on register say
Rc.and I think c.e
gibson {b/bridge-dromore } radcliffe [belfast-banbridge }
McCluskey & leckey {armagh }

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
can I just say - during WW2 - my mums sister died - their parents couldn't afford the grave - my mums other sister bought the plot - and although my aunty Dorothy / mum / dad and brother Kenneth are in it - the grave owner Elsie is buried somewhere else - but you have given me food for thought - WHY isn't she in that grave ????
do you think there were MANY graves purchased for other family members during the war as money was tight ????   something to think about
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 12:37 BST (UK) »

There will always be a limit to the number of burials within any one plot, which varies according to size etc , perhaps they just wanted to keep the original one for your aunt's siblings and purchased their own plot reserved just for them and any possible children?

I don't know if Graves/Plot Registers exist for Liverpool Cemeteries, though have used them a lot elsewhere and found them very useful though not always straightforward to explore. Very useful to suss out exactly who was buried and when in a particular plot.
Records were kept of every interment  in each plot, depth of burial etc as it was necessary to monitor that carefully to ensure that a previous interment wasn't disturbed when a new interment took place. If they do exist they would be at the archives.

Boo

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
spot on Boo - Dorothy and Kenneth were 6 mnths old and 8 months old - I was told they were laid across the grave - not length ways
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ards g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 July 21 14:51 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if some one could help with a look at a grave if they are visiting the allerton cemetery liverpool. it is section No 11 grave no 477 a eleanor marjorie stevens.Is there a headstone on this. also could anyone explain difference .public grave and private grave. many thanks
gibson {b/bridge-dromore } radcliffe [belfast-banbridge }
McCluskey & leckey {armagh }

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 July 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
A Public grave is used for more than one person and not all the same family.  It is unlikely that there would be a headstone

ADDED
Have you considered putting your request on Findagrave website
https://www.findagrave.com/photo-request/search/cemetery/2141579?sortBy=newest&page=1#pr-11326898
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 31 July 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
What year did she die?

EDIT - - found it - 1968.  Burial register shows it was a private grave.  Ring the office at the cemetary with the grave details & they will be able to tell you if it has a headstone. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 July 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
allerton cemetery
section 11 grave 477

Post from last year, lots of replies

topics merged