Author Topic: Death Certs. MacDonald in Moidart (Argyll/Inverness-Shire)  (Read 13049 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certs. MacDonald in Moidart (Argyll/Inverness-Shire)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 July 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Re Edward O'Gorman  ???

O'Gorman is certainly not a Scottish name. Irish for sure in origin.

The only death I can see in Scotland for an Edward O'Gorman is in 1920, which doesn't make sense if Angus Edward was born in 1921 and for him to show as O'Gorman. This is where detail from the birth, marriage and death for Angus Edward will be useful to you with any additional details to work from. For example, his birth should include date and place of parents' marriage, if married. An occupation for Edward will also help with searches for him hopefully. Did Edward show as alived or deceased when Angus married/died?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 July 19 17:43 BST (UK) »
Nothing showing for an Edward O'Gorman on the 1901 or 1911 censuses in Scotland.

There is one entry in the 1905 Valuation Rolls. Nothing on any other VRs:

Edward O'GORMAN
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE NO 219 WEST PRINCES STREET
GLASGOW
VR010200571-

A further entry for this Edward I think in 1910 at the same address showing him as a Customs and Excise Officer.

A man of mystery at present....

Monica

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 July 19 00:29 BST (UK) »
The only death I can see in Scotland for an Edward O'Gorman is in 1920, which doesn't make sense if Angus Edward was born in 1921 and for him to show as O'Gorman. This is where detail from the birth, marriage and death for Angus Edward will be useful to you with any additional details to work from. For example, his birth should include date and place of parents' marriage, if married. An occupation for Edward will also help with searches for him hopefully. Did Edward show as alived or deceased when Angus married/died?

Monica

Monica,

It's possible Edward may have died prior to the birth of Angus Edward (have an example myself sadly).

Agree, original birth cert. worth purchasing.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline alison ogorman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 July 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thank you, and wow!, I've just started this, and mostly it's been done on ancestry, and so I am not 100% sure passed Michael and Ann, I got them from Scotland people, rather than ancestry. My dad's cousin has access to my tree and sometimes things arrive in there, as was the case for the step siblings of my granny. My dad's cousin told me a couple of weeks ago that Bella and Edward moved around the UK and perhaps married in Camberwell, London, I don't know where he found the information, certainly my dad never knew if they ever married or not. but this is possibly why I am having so much trouble with finding O'Gorman as there are so many of them listed in the south.
So it appears I have the wrong parents for Michael and Ann?
Edward was a butler and Bella was a chef/cook.
The marriage certificate for my Angus and my Gran O'G, shows Edward as deceased I believe this was in 1941, my dad was born in 43, so it would make sense. Thanks so much for your help :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 July 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

If you I would start with ordering Angus Edward's birth cert from 1921, as Annie also mentions. This will help you confirm marital status of parents and also addresses and occupations for parents, Edward and Bella.

There was a marriage in 1920, for similar names except bride was a Beatrice. Maybe a mistake was made on bride's name?:

Edward O'Gorman and Beatrice MacDonald, 1st Qrt. 1920, Hampstead, refs Vol 1a/ pg 1403

If this was the marriage, then details of this would normally show on Angus Edward's birth cert.

You mentioned that Edward showed as deceased when Angus married. What happened with Isabella? Have you managed to trace her to her death?

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 July 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the only main source for original Scottish BMD documents and census images.

Have you looked at Michael and wife Ann's marriage cert to confirm their parents' names?

Monica

Offline alison ogorman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 July 19 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Really, thanks so much for taking the time. I have ordered the birth certificate for Angus, my Grandad, who I had never even seen a photo of until about 3  months ago. My dad doesn't really ever talk about his family, but adored his dad, Angus and lost him aged 10, and had to become the head of the household very young, as my Gran O'G didn't cope to well as a result of his loss. my dad has scant memories only that he spent summers in Dorlin with Archie and Mary Ann, I think my Granny Bella was alive for my mum and dads wedding in 1965, but died just after. I'm not sure I have the correct Michael and Ann, the only Michael's birth cert I can find is born in Tyree, not a million miles away from Dorlin, but I'm not sure it's him. I guess I expected them all to be registered in Acharacle or Dorlin, because my aunty Mary Ann said the family had had the croft for about 400 years? which may be fanciful! but that's what my dad thought. It's possibly through Ann, but there are a lot of Ann Mac's listed. The full list of names you posted earlier are the correct family, Angus and John died in the first world war, I saw the plaque with their names on when we visited the Mingarry church in May. I think Charles also died then or as a result of it. I will have a look again about the certificates for the Michael and Ann I think it is tomorrow, and thanks again for all your responses. O'Gorman is most definitely Irish! but like south England it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, so, hopefully Angus' birth cert might have some useful information
Alison

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
The family was Roman Catholic I would guess, if it links to mine. If so, you will struggle finding records pre 1855 and the start of Scottish official registration. Scotland's People have now added online what RC records remain for this period. I found very little there on my lines.

I too visited Our Lady of the Angels in Mingarry https://rcdai.org.uk/mingarry-our-lady-of-the-angels/ some years ago. At the time there was a priest still living in the priest's house there. Not sure if that is still the case.

When I was there the priest kindly showed me the office which held of all the registers were kept amongst other things. Understandable how many registers have been lost or destroyed over the years really..

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 14:18 BST (UK) »
This is a possible birth entry for Ann MacDonald, wife of Michael MacDonald www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5M-7MB

Alison, if I can give you any advice, it is to take your time now. Start with the birth cert of Angus in 1921, and start working back on records from that.

I saw a photo of Angus on one of the family trees. What a kind gentle face he had.

Re Isabella, I cannot see a death for her with the second surname of O'Gorman. Will make finding her death that much harder with just one surname....

Monica