Author Topic: Help finding McBurney marriage please  (Read 1228 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding McBurney marriage please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 May 20 10:27 BST (UK) »

Just a quick update for gaffy,  I have purchased the marriage certificate from the GRONI website of Mary Woods and Hugh McBurney and can confirm it is the correct people, Marys address was given as 5 Oldpark village which is the same as on the attachment I added to this thread for Hughs birth, so thank you so much, it also states that Hugh Mc Burney was also a widow so something to look into xxxxxxxxx

That's a good result.  As I said, the information in death notices indicated a previous marriage for Mary, and everything taken as a whole seemed to read across well to the Henry Woods family that I mentioned. 

So for example (and staying within the bounds of website policy on not mentioning living people), when Hugh McBurney junior died in 1958 at a reported age of 40, he was described as the 'husband of Kathleen McBurney' and the 'son of Mary and the late Hugh McBurney... 42 Oakley Street'. There were also references to 'his sorrowing Brother and Sister-in-law, Robert and Sadie Woods', also 'his loving Sister, Margaret, and Brother-in-law, Samuel Rainey', and his 'Sister, Mary, and Family'. The mention of Hugh having a brother with a different surname was an immediate pointer to the possibility that his mother Mary had been married before.

When Mary McBurney died in 1963 at a reported age of 83, there were several references in the death notices to '42 Oakley Street' (ie. conveniently linking back to the 1958 death of Hugh junior), she was described as 'nee Woods' - which of course she technically wasn't, but it's a common enough mistake - and there were references to say that she was the 'mother of Margaret Rainey', the 'mother of Robert Woods', the 'mother of Mary Smyth', and the 'mother of Sadie Nawn'.

Possible marriages to 'fit' these various references can be readily found in the GRONI website marriages index, for example, Robert Woods and Sarah Newell in 1936, Margaret Woods and Samuel Rainey in 1922, Mary Woods and David Smyth in 1927 - all registered in Belfast.  The one reference above that initially confused me was to 'Sadie Nawn', for I couldn't see a Woods child called Sarah.  Until I happened upon a February 1950 'in memoriam' notice for Hugh McBurney senior who died in February 1949, mentioning his 'Daughter, Son-in-law... 19 Brandon Parade'.  A quick check of the Belfast Street directory for 1951 shows that a Charles Nawn was occupying that address, so I'm guessing that, in addition to Hugh junior born in 1918, Hugh senior and Mary (Orr Woods) McBurney had a daughter Sarah who went on to marry a Charles Nawn... the 'FamilySearch' website Ireland Civil Registration Indexes show a birth registered in Belfast for a Sarah McBurney in the Jul-Sep quarter of 1920, which has to be a possibility - that birth registration should become available shortly on the GRONI website under their 100 year rule, for they appear to be quite up to date in releasing under that rule.

For this geographic context, Nawn isn't exactly the most plentiful surname around, so the marriage of a Hugh McBurney to a Kathleen Nawn in (what is today) the Newtownabbey Registration District on 10 December 1941 (pay to view on the GRONI website) is intriguing - could this be Hugh born in 1918 and could it be that McBurney siblings Hugh and Sarah married Nawn siblings Kathleen and Charles? Just speculation of course.

Edited to add:  I've just now noticed a marriage in the GRONI website marriages index for a Sarah McBurney and Charles Nawn, registered Antrim, it took place on 6 April 1943.     

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 May 20 01:14 BST (UK) »

... When Mary McBurney died in 1963 at a reported age of 83, there were several references in the death notices to '42 Oakley Street' (ie. conveniently linking back to the 1958 death of Hugh junior), she was described as 'nee Woods' - which of course she technically wasn't, but it's a common enough mistake - and there were references to say that she was the 'mother of Margaret Rainey', the 'mother of Robert Woods', the 'mother of Mary Smyth', and the 'mother of Sadie Nawn' ...

Further into the 1963 death notice for Mary McBurney describing her as the 'mother of Sadie Nawn', it adds 'regretted by her sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Sadie and Marshall ... 59 Southport Street'.  The 1960 Belfast street directory shows the occupier of that address as Charles M. Nawn. 

Two of the newspaper death notices placed for a Charles Fleming Nawn, 'husband of Katherine Nawn', who died on 4 October 1952 at Roughfort, Templepatrick (reported age 72) mention: (1) 'Charles M. Nawn... Son, Daughter-in-law... 29 Glenside Parade, Belfast'; and (2) 'Cathleen McBurney... Daughter, Son-in-law... Ballyutoag, Ligoniel'.

The townland of Ballyutoag is the last residence recorded for Hugh McBurney junior in his 1958 burial record, as it is in his father's 1949 burial record (Reply #8).

Charles Fleming Nawn married Catherine Boyd in 1909 ...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1909/10005/5638600.pdf

... and went on to have a number of children including:

- Charles Marshall Nawn in 1915:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01381/1567844.pdf

- Kathleen Nawn in 1918:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1918/01290/1534339.pdf

So yes, short of paying to view the 1941 and 1943 marriage records mentioned at Reply #18, it's looking very possible that Hugh and Sarah McBurney married sister and brother.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 May 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
The address recorded for Hugh McBurney when he married Edith Morrison in October 1910 was 1 Legburn Street, the Belfast street directory for 1910 shows the following entry for that street: 1. McBurney, Jas., fireman and the 1911 Ireland census also shows James at that address:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Legburn_Street/171480/

James was still there in 1919 when he died (the informant was his daughter Jane, who married John Parr the previous year):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1919/05164/4424441.pdf

And in fact the family remained at that address until at least 1960 (per street directories), in that the Parrs were resident there.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 May 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Gaffy that's very interesting thankyou for taking the time to help me. I  didn't know that two of the McBurney brothers had married two Nawn sisters so that's great. Where did you find the death notices for the family please, are they from Find my past x

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 May 20 16:00 BST (UK) »

Gaffy that's very interesting thankyou for taking the time to help me. I  didn't know that two of the McBurney brothers had married two Nawn sisters so that's great. Where did you find the death notices for the family please, are they from Find my past x

My speculation is that it's a brother and sister in each family, ie:

- Hugh McBurney (b. 1918 to Hugh McBurney and Mary Orr) married Kathleen Nawn (b. 1918 to Charles Fleming Nawn and Catherine Boyd);
- Sarah (Sadie) McBurney (maybe b. 1920? to Hugh McBurney and Mary Orr) married Charles Marshall Nawn (b. 1915 to Charles Fleming Nawn and Catherine Boyd)

The fathers' details shown in the respective 1941 and 1943 marriage records should indicate if I'm right or wrong.

The death notices I mentioned are available on the British Newspaper Archive (BNA), which is a 'Findmypast' company (in partnership with the British Library).  So the same titles and coverage should be accessible on both the BNA and 'Findmypast' websites, however the BNA website claims that their search facility is more sophisticated.