Author Topic: Help identifying a photo  (Read 2018 times)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a photo
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
The photo is of  Royal Marine.

MaxD

Royal Marine, pride of the Queen, second to none, never outdone, first to land and last to leave and friend of no b*******
Thank you very much. Would this be during WWII? I will ask the family if they knew any marines

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben...can I suggest that you post it here to remove the offending crack:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/free-photo-restoratio

Carol

Ok...be aware that when you post there, you will need to rename the file.
Carol
Thank you. I'll do that when I can scan a better quality image of it on the computer.
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks WW2 era perhaps immediately post war?

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks WW2 era perhaps immediately post war?

MaxD
That is a great help. Thank you.

I think I have a name for who the soldier could be. Is there anywhere where I can search for Royal Marines who survived the war? I wouldn't know the number or where he was stationed but it's a hunch.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
If anyone else is a mystified as I was on how this thread moved from a group of RAF men to a single Royal Marine, see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=830867.msg6951813#msg6951813
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
I think I have a name for who the soldier could be. Is there anywhere where I can search for Royal Marines who survived the war? I wouldn't know the number or where he was stationed but it's a hunch.

I don't think such a listing would exist.  Record from that era are still with the Ministry of Defence.  You could apply https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
to the Royal Navy Disclosure Cell) if you can meet the criteria although the fee is not refundable.  You do not need a service number although you do need a date of birth if you don't have it.

MaxD

Pedant's corner - a Royal Marine is a Royal Marine not a soldier.   
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

guest259648

« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 May 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the very quick answers.

Could either if you pin it down to a year? There are signatures on the back but nobody recognises any names but if it would help get more info I could put the back up too.

Would a clearer photo help?

BenRalph, you say there are some signatures on the back... do they include any of the following surnames: Lane, Drummond, and/or first names Alf or Peter (or the Peters could be a surname)... please let me know?  Thank you,

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 May 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
The squad photo is of RAF recruits, re the cap badges & shoulder flashes, and I would date it to around the mid 1950's - it's identical to mine taken in 1955. We had to wear webbing belts & gaiters until the end of training & those considered to be Potential Officer Material (POMs) had an insert behind their cap badge.

Cap badge comparison photo:

Edit - the right hand badge is the Royal Marines.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 May 20 19:13 BST (UK) »

I don't think such a listing would exist.  Record from that era are still with the Ministry of Defence.  You could apply https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
to the Royal Navy Disclosure Cell) if you can meet the criteria although the fee is not refundable.  You do not need a service number although you do need a date of birth if you don't have it.

MaxD

Pedant's corner - a Royal Marine is a Royal Marine not a soldier.   
Thank you for the info. Don't worry, I like pedantry.
Thank you both for the very quick answers.

Could either if you pin it down to a year? There are signatures on the back but nobody recognises any names but if it would help get more info I could put the back up too.

Would a clearer photo help?

BenRalph, you say there are some signatures on the back... do they include any of the following surnames: Lane, Drummond, and/or first names Alf or Peter (or the Peters could be a surname)... please let me know?  Thank you, Dulciebun
I will post a photo of the rear. Do you recognise anybody in the photo? What's your interest in the picture?
The squad photo is of RAF recruits, re the cap badges & shoulder flashes, and I would date it to around the mid 1950's - it's identical to mine taken in 1955. We had to wear webbing belts & gaiters until the end of training & those considered to be Potential Officer Material (POM's) had an insert behind their cap badge.

Cap badge comparison photo:

Edit - the right hand badge is the Royal Marines.
Thank you for the info. My knowledge in army photos is next to Nil.