Author Topic: Can anyone advise me on these DNA matches  (Read 501 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone advise me on these DNA matches
« on: Tuesday 12 May 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
My wifes g g grandmother Jane Bresette(or derivatives) has always been a dead end for me in my researching.
I know she was likely born in Ontario (likely near Kingston)  and for sure she married in upstate New York.

There was always a likely family but the children they had did not include a Jane.

I entered the surname  Bresette in Ancestry DNA search  and got quite a few matches to my wife  all of whom had family trees on Ancestry and every  tree was the suspect family but Jane was not on any of them.

The closest DNA match was 4th–6th Cousin
Shared DNA: 30 cM across 2 segments
3,640 People
I had 2 others with 28 cM across 2 segments    then alot of matches under distant, relations

My question is what are the odds of Jane being one of the children in this family and the baptism record etc were just not located.

I hope that is not to garbled
Thank you and best wishes from Winnipeg.

Jim

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone advise me on these DNA matches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
Maybe take a look at the What Are The Odds Tool at DNA Painter. You would most likely need some more good matches to get the full benefit from it though.
https://dnapainter.com/tools/probability
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
I dont think that program works with Ancestry unless you do something else first and not being very computer savy I really dont understand what you have to do.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
I dont think that program works with Ancestry unless you do something else first and not being very computer savy I really dont understand what you have to do.

The WATO tool on DNA Painter works with information from any site. All you do is build hypothesis using the total number of shared cM for relevant matches. Try watching some of the videos that explain how it works.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
thank you Craclyn