Author Topic: Frederick Prime 1886 - 1963  (Read 223 times)

Offline RGB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Prime 1886 - 1963
« on: Friday 15 May 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Dear All,
I wonder if you can help me. My deceased relative, Frederick Prime (1886 in St Luke, London - 1963 Essex) was in WW1 and we believe at Gallipoli. I have a medal card that I believe it is for him but I cannot find an attestation that firmly links the soldier to the Family either by a relative name or address etc. In the photo the cap badge looked to be from the 10 London Regiment Hackney. The medal card shows a Pte number 1925 420866.
Frederick was living in Alverstone Road Manor Park in 1911. He grew up and returned to Islington after WW1.

Frederick was married to Louisa Charlotte Violetta Smith from January 1904. His mother was Emma Prime nee Harrip. His father Obadiah had passed away before the beginning of WW1.

I would be so grateful if your knowledge and expertise could help me so that I can be sure Frederick is the soldier depicted in the medal card. With many thanks. Roger
Markham, Gurney, Grimwood

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Prime 1886 - 1963
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 May 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
I can't help with the uniform but I wonder what he is holding in his right hand.

Offline RGB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 20 14:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry very difficult to see even on the original. Looks like rolled paper, too fat for a cigarette. Mystery!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
He is in 10th London Regiment, he appears in the 10th London medal award roll which goes with the card.  The date on the card is when the battalion landed at Suvla Bay.  Unfortunately, his service records do not seem to have survived.  The roll also tells us he was in Gallipoli Aug to 13 Dec 1915 then Egypt Dec 15 to Jan 19.

he war diary for Gallipoli is on Ancestry at:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60380/42871_1831101456_11752-00001?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

The war diary for the Egypt period has not been digitised but the battalion was with 162 Infantry Brigade there, an outline of its service is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/162nd_(East_Midland)_Brigade

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline RGB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 May 20 15:03 BST (UK) »
That is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time and effort.