Author Topic: Summer holidays - will they be possible?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Summer holidays - will they be possible?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 May 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
Holidays!!!!

Well as far as they go not for us this year I'm afraid...

My OH has a big birthday in October and fortunately we hadn't decided where to go so hadn't booked nothing... thankfully and sadly ☹️☹️

As far as we're concerned just a trip down to Ealing to visit our daughter, husband no grandsons would be the highlight of our year or if they were able to come to us for just a weekend.... BUT I can't see even that happening anytime soon 😢😢

Next year I have a big birthday and our son, who lives in Brisbane, said don't worry Mum we'll do something next year all together ...... will we though I'm not sure about that either and my birthday is in September so it's over a year away.

I think most people are going to be very wary about going anywhere within this country let alone abroad with all the risks that others have commented on.

My 7 yr old grandson a few weeks ago asked his mother " will we ever see grandpa and grandma again.... slightly worrying he thinks that. How much damage is it going to do to children what will they think in time to come if we have to distance for considerable lengths of time.... too many questions and no answers so far.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
One of our local consultants (Newcastle RVI has a special unit and was where the first UK cases were taken) was interviewed last evening to say that they were preparing for it lasting  18 months - 2 years, so it's a bit premature to think about holidays  - we may never get there. 

I'm staying here until there's a vaccine.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 20 13:49 BST (UK) »

My 7 yr old grandson a few weeks ago asked his mother " will we ever see grandpa and grandma again.... slightly worrying he thinks that. How much damage is it going to do to children what will they think in time to come if we have to distance for considerable lengths of time.... too many questions and no answers so far.

Caroline

My daughter is almost 30, single and lives in Paignton. She’d watched the speech Boris gave (I spelled speech incorrectly and iPad just auto corrected it to “spew act”  ;D ;D), and the bits that were said in the following days. I had an upset sounding “does that mean we can’t see each other?” email  :(
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
Lisajb - yes it is worrying and he is a sensitive boy and always very considerate to others... always offers chocolates to you first before taking one himself.... I do worry about how this is going to affect children or people in general, quite stressful.

I hope you were able to allay your daughters fears but hard when you can't see her and give her a big reassuring hug.☹️

Let's hope things will improve and be positive... don't listen/watch too much about all this otherwise you could really be in dire straits!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 May 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
One of our local consultants (Newcastle RVI has a special unit and was where the first UK cases were taken) was interviewed last evening to say that they were preparing for it lasting  18 months - 2 years, so it's a bit premature to think about holidays  - we may never get there. 

I'm staying here until there's a vaccine.

Completely agree -  My husband was nearly stuck down south while looking after his mother's house before  the lockdown was announced - We wouldn't be going anywhere pre a vaccine

Kay

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 May 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Cawl, can you set up a WhatsApp or zoom whereby you can talk to the little chap, my friend has a portal, don't know anything g about them though

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 May 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
Cawl, can you set up a WhatsApp or zoom whereby you can talk to the little chap, my friend has a portal, don't know anything g about them though

Louisa Maud

Oh we have... we speak to them every week on Zoom. I think it was just a panic he had but he does see and speak to us regularly, thankfully.

It just worried me that a child of that age was so concerned about not seeing us....
He's generally a cheerful child and loves to show us everything they do... jigsaws being his favourite, he has competitions with OH had to who can do the most difficult!

Looking forward to catching up with them today/tomorrow!

Thanks for your concern.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Lisajb - yes it is worrying and he is a sensitive boy and always very considerate to others... always offers chocolates to you first before taking one himself.... I do worry about how this is going to affect children or people in general, quite stressful.

I hope you were able to allay your daughters fears but hard when you can't see her and give her a big reassuring hug.☹️

Let's hope things will improve and be positive... don't listen/watch too much about all this otherwise you could really be in dire straits!

Caroline
Your grandson sounds like a lovely sensitive lad.

We talk on Skype but it’s not the same, as being able to see her and give her a hug. She’s a Registered Veterinary Nurse and loves her job, but has just told us that they’re struggling to obtain gloves. It’s not thought that animals play a significant part in transmission of Covid19, but precautions must be taken. She’s probably the most sensible level headed one of us all, but even she is struggling.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 May 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
My neighbours daughter, over 40 now visited them last week, sat in the garden and when time came to leave she got upset as she couldn't hug her parents, so to cheer things up a bit and a laugh I said, " why dont you get 2 bean poles, glue a pair of gloves on the end and you can hug her", sounds ridiculous but it might bring laughter and not tears when leaving, I am sure I  have seen it on TV  years ago have

Silly me.!
 Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London