Author Topic: Major THOMAS AUSTIN (Old Stick-leg)  (Read 976 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major THOMAS AUSTIN (Old Stick-leg)
« on: Saturday 16 May 20 21:16 BST (UK) »

Major THOMAS AUSTIN (Old Stick-leg)

In Extracts of the Diaries of Old Stick-leg (Major Thomas Austin), presented by Herbert Henry Austin, the grandfather of Francis Frederick Austin, it is stated on page 12 " “It is true that the old major’s elder brother, our grandfather, had actually fought against Napoleon in the Peninsular War; but had died in Canada, to which country he had emigrated with a large family in the thirties.”

So Herbert Henry Austin believed that his grandfather, Captain Francis Frederick Austin of 76 Foot, was the elder brother of Major Thomas Austin (35th Foot, 5th Ryl Vet. Batt., Major of Duncannon Fort, died 1881). Francis Frederick Austin did emigrate to Canada in the 1830s and on the Canadian Census of 1851 is shown as being born in Islington B (meaning Borough). He died in Canada in 1853.

Francis Frederick Austin was born 05 Mar 1785 and baptised 10 Apr 1785 at St Mary's Church, Islington. with parents Francis Austin and Elizabeth nee Heptinstall. Francis and Elizabeth also had other children: Maria Ann, Edward, Joseph and William born between 16 Dec 1782 and 10 Jul 1794, all baptised at St Mary's Church, Islington. However, there is no sign of a Thomas Austin here.

I have a Thomas Austin born 18 Dec 1794 in Isleworth but baptised only on 31 Jul 1816 in order to marry Hannah Austin (not related it seems) at St Bride's, Fleet Street on 03 Aug 1816.

If the birth date is correct then Thomas cannot be the full brother of Frederick Francis. I have searched the various Thomas Austins around Middlesex but cannot find a match, nor can I find any written material on the early life of Major Thomas Austin, who later became Fort Major at Duncannon Fort in Ireland.

Does anyone have knowledge and facts concerning this family, especially prior to military service, and can they please explain this apparent conundrum of Francis and Thomas.

Regards and thanks in advance
francoso

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Major THOMAS AUSTIN (Old Stick-leg)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
It seems that Thomas had an interest in crinoidea:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jsjgeology/20772882328/in/photostream/

I see from the baptism record that I presume you found that he was baptised at Holborn, parents listed as being Francis and Mary.

For some reason I can't find the baptisms of Maria Ann etc on Find My Past.  I assume that those baptisms had Francis and Elizabeth for all of them.

In the absence of finding a relevant baptism for Thomas one has to wonder if he was a cousin rather than a brother.

That would entail tracing any siblings of Francis senior.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 01:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, GG, all four of Francis and Elizabeth's kids were baptised at St Mary's, Islington fairly soon after being born:
Maria Ann Austin b. 16 Dec 1782, c. 05 Jan 1783, St Mary's, Islington, Middlesex
Francis Frederick Austin b. 05 Mar 1785, c. 10 Apr 1785, St Mary's, Islington, Middlesex
Edward Austin b. 07 Oct 1788, c. 02 Nov 1788, St Mary's, Islington, Middlesex
Joseph Austin b. 11 Dec 1790, c. 23 Feb 1791, St Mary's, Islington, Middlesex
William Austin b. 10 Jul 1794, c. 12 Apr 1795, St Mary's, Islington, Middlesex

On the other hand:
Thomas Austin b. 18 Dec 1794, Isleworth, c. 31 Jul 1816, Holborn, Middlesex

Francis Frederick, the grandson of Herbert Henry Austin d. 02 Jan 1853 Bur. 05 Jan 1853, Quebec.
This is definitely the Francis Frederick Austin b. 05 Mar 1785 as in the Canadian Census of 1851 it states he was b. Islington Borough.

I am considering several possible connections between Thomas and Francis Frederick such as step-brother, half-brother or cousins (perhaps once removed as it would be peculiar to have two brothers named Francis).

This is the reason for my post: to see if anyone has any facts concerning the ancestors of Francis Frederick and Thomas. Without any facts it is pure conjecture.

And yes, Thomas became an expert on crinoidea while based as Fort Major at Duncannon. Later he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Geological Society.

As well as Francis Frederick serving in the Peninsular War, his brothers William and Joseph also served, and Thomas lost his leg at Merxem.

Both Francis Frederick and Thomas also served in the Walcheren Campaign, and Francis Frederick fought at the battle of Plattsburgh in the War of 1812.

Regards
francoso

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 20 08:39 BST (UK) »
Where did you find the information that Thomas had been born on 18 Dec 1794 at Isleworth?  I can't find that online at all.

Family search has three marriages for a Francis Austin to a Mary:-

8 Dec 1787 to Mary Neale at Binfield, Berks
2 Dec 1793 to Mary March at Oakham, Rutland
6 July 1788 to Mary Evans at Watford,Herts

Whether any of those three were Thomas' parents is anyone's guess.

Was there an obituary in a newspaper when Thomas died in 1881?

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:15 BST (UK) »
On Thomas's baptism record at St Andrews, Holborn on 31 July 1816, it says "father stated that he was born 18 Dec 1794". Father is Francis and mother Mary. This birth date is also quoted by Herbert Henry Austin in his presentation of "Extracts from the Diaries of Old Stick-leg. I haven't established any marriage record of Francis Austin and Mary, only the names on the baptism record of Thomas.

All of these are documented facts. I am looking for the earlier lives of Thomas Austin and Francis Frederick Austin to try to establish their actual relationship.
Rgds
francoso

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
That sounds like it will be a tough nut to crack if you crack it at all.

Have you found any obituary for Thomas at all?  Have you considered exploring the British Library to see if there is anything there about Thomas?

Have you ever found any military records for Thomas?

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
please do not keep duplicating posting (I have removed your 2 duplications).

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 05:23 BST (UK) »
I have searched on-line for Thomas Austin died 1881 at the British Library but with no success.

I have searched the internet for information about Thomas Austin (other than that in "Old Stick-leg" but with no success.

I have the military service records of Thomas Austin but no details of family are included in them.

And I have searched Ancestry and FindMyPast for any further details of Thomas Austin's ancestors but with no success.

And that is the reason I am asking if anyone knows and facts about Thomas Austin's earlier life other than he served in the West Middlesex Militia from the age of 15 and his father Francis was a Lieutenant in the same Militia.

francoso

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
This might take Francis Frederick’s family back one generation.

Working with his mother’s maiden name being Heppingstall, there is a Samuel Austin who married Sarah Heppingstall in 1780 at St.Andrew Holborn.
Witnesses Francis Austin and Mary Fidler.

This Samuel and Sarah had children baptised at St.Mary Islington from 1780-1800.

The witnesses to Francis Austin and Elizabeth Heppingstall marriage were Samuel and Betress Austin.

There is a 1786 burial in Islington for  a Betress Austin aged 29 (born 1757).

These are baptisms in Ashwell, Hertfordshire with parents Francis and Jude Austin.

Beattaris     1757
Samuel        1759
Francis         1761
Elizabeth      1763

Maybe?