Author Topic: Could anyone help a newbie with a DNA enigma please?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone help a newbie with a DNA enigma please?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
Do report back if you get the details from them. I've still got the annotated tree ready to fill in the remaining shared DNA.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have one other piece of definite and potentially useful info, Mike's link to Bernadette is 139.  I also have someone else with 50cM, she was a great great grand daughter of one of those siblings and hers to me is 45cM

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
So what is the relationship of Mike to Eileen - cousin or sib?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
No, their grandmother's were siblings, daughters of LA.  They didn't know of each others' existence until we started looking into this..

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
so 2nd cousins - sharing a great grandmother

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
And another little bit of info. The cM for Eileen to Bernadette is only 72.  I must admit this all seems a little confusing!

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 May 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
How long ago did Bernadette join Ancestry, and how long ago did she last log-in? Are her results linked to a tree (private or otherwise)? All this could be quite overwhelming for her, even if she is interested in her family tree. Or she might have no mystery herself, and know exactly how she fits into the tree (in or outside of wedlock), and might not be interested in/have time for connecting with you. So much else is going on at present in people's lives, even in the best of times! She might also have had her DNA uploaded by a third party (even if she has a separate account) for some reason. I have a friend who got people to test DNA, not all of them blood relatives to her, just out of her own curiosity.

One thing about the results is that maybe she is much closer to the siblings then anyone else. She could be a surviving child of one of the siblings (i.e. your father's cousin). Her genetic distance to the rest of you is therefore less, which might explain the high results in some of the matches.