Author Topic: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?  (Read 5393 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?
« on: Sunday 17 May 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, my 5th GGM, Esther Glover c1765, gave birth to 5 illegitimate children:
Mary (my 4th GGM) 1788-1860/Sarah-1791-1795/William-1796/Elizabeth-1800/John-1803.  All were baptised at All Saints, Rainford.

I'm using Ancestry and other databases to trace all the siblings and have found quite a number of other people with trees.  I'm looking forward to finding links on DNA too.

All of these children must have put a burden on the finances of the Parish and I wonder if records would still exist and if so, where I might locate them?  I can't see a marriage or death for a suitable Esther after 1803, but will keep looking.

any help appreciated.  Kit

Edit: I've changed Esther's approximate birth date from 1760 to 1765
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Glover c1760 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
This could be Esther's baptism

Esther, daughter of William and Sarah Glover
Baptised 28 May 1767 Prescot

There is a marriage between John Houghton and Esther Glover at Rainford 1815. As far as I can see they didn't have any children.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethanyyd96, I did see the baptism and wondered as the 2nd child was named Sarah, whether this had any bearing.  Will keep that as a possibility. 

I also saw the marriage in 1815 to John Houghton, but he is down as a schoolteacher and I didn't think he would want to marry a woman who had 5 children out of wedlock?  Bit of a reputation in the community to uphold, I would expect.  I'll try to find them in 1841 to check ages etc.

thanks, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found a John Houghton in the 1841, School Master at Cat Lane, Rainford aged '65'.  He is on his own!  No obvious burial on LancsOPC for Esther  >:(

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
I have many Glovers from the Rainford area in my family tree, my grandmother was a Glover. I will have a look at my tree later and see if it helps you.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gibel, I've known about Esther for a number of years now and that she had Mary and Sarah. However, I hadn't realised that she had the other children until yesterday, when a DNA 28cm match (soooo little DNA) came up against my Aunt's DNA (b1927), but not a match with me.  Thru Lines on Ancestry has suggested a link and it was only when exploring this and the tree matches it came up with, that I could make some headway.

As Esther doesn't appear to survive to the 1841c, it's difficult to know if she was residing with the father(s) of the children and I wonder how the Parish looked upon them.

Look forward to hearing from you again, Kit

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Gibel, you may want to be aware that I've amended Esther's approximate birth date to 1765, but I really have not idea.  Thanks with the offer of help.  Kit

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 May 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at my Glover's, despite my 3x great grandfather having 18 or 20 children by 2 wives  I haven't got an Esther! My grandparents lived in Rainford post war and now I understand why she knew everybody she must have been related to half of Rainford which wasn't very big then.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 May 20 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gibel, I feel your pain!

I was brought up in Boundary Road, (top) St Helens, but left aged 10 in 1971.  My Aunt T, who is the only one on this line for me still alive, doesn't have any memory of history and left that to her older sisters.

The only history I have, are from the records, as there was no one to ask and Aunty T doesn't have that familial memory.  She is still with us and I can call once in a while.

Thankfully, I have her DNA, but even then, it will only show up certain links on that side.

Have YOU done a DNA test?

Kit