Author Topic: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?  (Read 5397 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 May 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much lancsann  :o  as you say, maybe different fathers for EACH child.  Wow.  I know we talk about a fickle benefits society today and so many women have children to different fathers but …….  I wonder how Esther would have been viewed in her village/society.   However, I shouldn't comment negatively as firstly, I don't know the circumstances she faced and secondly, I wouldn't be here if she hadn't had Mary :-)

stay safe, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 November 22 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Coming to this late  .
kit  Did you ever send off for the originals of those affiliation orders ?

I paid for one for my grandma
The man's name occupation and address was given as was hers . Plus weekly amounts til child reache age of 14

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline annajane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 November 22 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I’ve recently returned to researching a Glover line of my tree. There are some illegitimate children, but I wonder if they were catholic and never registered the marriage. Marriages were not legal if not done in the Church of England. There are Glover families at both Wheatsheaf Inns in Atherton and Coppull.

I think the Wheatsheaf in Atherton was a meeting place for Catholics around the late 1700’s and 1800.

Have you looked at any of the Catholic records for Lancashire?

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 November 22 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Coming to this late  .
kit  Did you ever send off for the originals of those affiliation orders ?

I paid for one for my grandma
The man's name occupation and address was given as was hers . Plus weekly amounts til child reache age of 14
Bridgidmac, thanks for the post.  I haven't progressed much in relation to research as I've been back to work full-time for a couple of years now.

To be honest, I'm not sure where I would go to get the Affiliation Orders.  Are you able to help?

They would be really interesting to view if they survive and I can access them.

thanks, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 November 22 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I’ve recently returned to researching a Glover line of my tree. There are some illegitimate children, but I wonder if they were catholic and never registered the marriage. Marriages were not legal if not done in the Church of England. There are Glover families at both Wheatsheaf Inns in Atherton and Coppull.

I think the Wheatsheaf in Atherton was a meeting place for Catholics around the late 1700’s and 1800.

Have you looked at any of the Catholic records for Lancashire?
Hello annajane, thanks for your interest.

I have not checked Catholic records and to be honest, wouldn't know where to start.  I have a lot of Catholic lines, mainly from Ireland, but this doesn't appear to be one.  Always open to more research though.

If you could point me in the right direction, if you're able to, I'll try and follow up on that suggestion.

Still narrowing down on 'Glover' possible DNA matches, but work and family life get in the way.

Look forward to any suggestions.  Kit

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 November 22 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Affiliation records are held at local record offices but not easy to find .

an extra line to follow .anyway

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 November 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Appreciate that advice Bridgidmac.  Will see what I can do when I have the time.

Kit

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 November 22 06:03 GMT (UK) »
The affiliation orders for Mary Glover / James Pilkington 4 August 1789  and Betty (Elizabeth) /James Culshaw 24 July 1800 are on ancestry.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 November 22 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you put Pilkington and culshaw in the name search of your DNA shared matches  as they are unusual names it would be significant if you have DNA matches to anyone with them on their trees
And private searchable trees would also show  this up .

Sometimes you can find names on DNA matches with unlinked trees but to do this you'd have to look at the shared matches oof shared matches you know connect to Sarah Glover