Author Topic: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?  (Read 5392 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 November 22 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Excellent!

James was already in the tree against Elizabeth(Betty).  Haven't been able to find the reputed fathers of the other 3.

Dagnall/Dagnell etc is also one of my other lines.  Again, very popular in that area.

Love your work  ;D

Edit: Sarah Dagnall b. 1796 in Bold was my 3xGGM on my Maternal side
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 November 22 19:12 GMT (UK) »
These records are fantastic.  I've just found Sarah Dagnall's reputed father!!  (I've got a fair few of these).  It is Philip Rogerson, Cotton Weaver!  Mother was Betty Dagnall. Record 21 Dec 1796

:D :D

Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 27 November 22 09:21 GMT (UK) »
The affiliation records are fascinating.
I do wonder about "proven under the oath of "
On each page it's different people so not someone in authority

(I haven't found any for my own Lancashire research yet tho ) .

I also wonder about how long the father's continued to pay for . They would have to leave the county to avoid prison for non payment .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their help so far.  Working on the possible marriage of a Esther Glover to a John Houghton brought up the already mentioned marriage on LancsOPC:
Marriage: 17 Jul 1815 All Saints, Rainford, Lancashire, England
John Houghton - Schoolmaster, Bachelor, Of this Parish
Esther Glover - (X), Spinster, Of this Parish
    Witness: James Tunstall, (X); Mary Valentine, (X)
    Married by Banns by: William Ellam Minister
    Register: Marriages 1813 - 1831, Page 20, Entry 59
    Source: LDS Film 1657567
In the 1841c John Houghton School M(aster)? is aged '65' so 65-69 at Cat Lane School, Rainford.

That would fit for someone born 1772-1776?

Esther should have been born 1765-1768? a guess really, to have a child born in 1788, on the 'Affiliation Records' on Ancestry there is no mention of her being a minor (would that be under 21?) so 1767 at least.

For that marriage Esther (if she's mine) must have been around 48-50 years old, John would have been 39-43?  Both 'single'.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I can't see John in the 1851c.

Death - There is a death on the GRO for a  Esther Houghton Q4 1838 in 'Prescot' aged 71.  This would work?
Death - There is a death on the GRO for a John Houghton Q4 1846 in 'Prescot' aged 70.  This would work?

Nothing showing for these on LancsOPC.

They are not buried at St Helens Cemetery.  My bet would be All Saints Rainford or Prescot St Mary.  I don't have access to those records.  Does anyone else?

I've tried 1815 marriage and both deaths 1838 and 1846 on FindMyPast access to British Newspapers, but can see no mention of a 'Notice' which might give any further information on the individuals.

I would purchase one or both of these Death Certs if required, I just wondered if anyone else had access to other records or could offer advice before I spend money on these?

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Modified to show John as 70

Kit

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Also, the John Houghton on the 1788 and 1800 'Affiliation orders/Court orders' can't be this John as he appears to be born c.1776, he would only be 12 in the case of Mary 1788 and 24 (so maybe this one?) for Betty in 1800.  Maybe his father?  Wonder who he was and what he did.  Obviously with some amount of education as his son went on to be a School Master.

Just musing.

Kit

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 27 November 22 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I noticed several trees have William + Sarah Glover.as Esther parents on your tree you commented that the baby died
But a second Esther was born in may and baptised on the 16th may 1767

So you don't need to rule them out  !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 27 November 22 16:23 GMT (UK) »
True, I don't supposed I've 'ruled them out' as much as being a little dubious.

What did a 'Glazier' do then?  I take that to be more than working in a Glass Works.  To me it says he has a profession and does specific work?

Anyway, I do hope some of the other children of Esther went on to have children so that we can maybe catch a DNA link somewhere.

Cheers. Kit

Offline Jacky80

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 18:41 BST (UK) »
True, I don't supposed I've 'ruled them out' as much as being a little dubious.

What did a 'Glazier' do then?  I take that to be more than working in a Glass Works.  To me it says he has a profession and does specific work?

Anyway, I do hope some of the other children of Esther went on to have children so that we can maybe catch a DNA link somewhere.

Cheers. Kit

I know this is an old subject but I've just joined the chat - I am a descendant of Esther Glover by her Illegitimate son John Glover Born Rainford 16 Jan 1803. I've had a DNA test as has my Brother and have traced a number of Thru Lines and shared DNA via Ancestry.  This ancestry line is on my Father side.
I've also recently started looking at links to other illegitimate children of a Phoebe Birchall in the Birchall/Hulme line that looks to have been fathered by a son of Esther.  This could have been John as he is of a similar age to Phoebe and he subsequently moved to Bolton around the time her eldest was born.
O what tangled webs we weave
Jacky