Author Topic: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Glover c1765 Rainford - 5 illegitimate Children?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 May 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
did she move to Westhoughton ?  it is only 15 miles away ?

Baptism: 27 Jun 1813 St Bartholomew, Westhoughton, Lancashire, England
Jane Glover - Daughter of Esther Glover
    Abode: Atherton
do you know her occupation ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 May 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Garstonite, no occupation has been listed on her children's baptism records and that is all I have for her presence in this world, really.  However, what a legacy to leave?  At least 4 of her 5 children may have survived to adulthood.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 May 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
possibly 6 if that is her living in Atherton and baptism in Westhoughton ...I think she had 3 weetabix every morning....lol
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 May 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
No I haven’t done a DNA test.

For 2000 Rainford researched family trees for many of the people living in Rainford in the early census I think it was the families in the 1841 census. In 2003 I met a gentleman who knew my granny and said his mother was a cousin of my granny and they went into service together. He had a copy of this large Glover tree and said there’s my mum but I can’t find your Granny on it. I looked at the tree and there was the first son of my 3 greats grandfather ( the one who had 18 or 19 children) But there was no information on this son. He was my 2 greats grandfather who went to Liverpool. His son went to Wallasey were my granny was born and lived. She went to Rainford to her sister when she was bombed out.

I don’t have their tree but I have done quite a large one myself. I reckon my granny musT have been related to half of Rainford even in the 1950s.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 May 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hey Gibel, loving your story!  I just wish I had some lively characters to colour mine!

I'm still working via Ancestry and LansOPC to fill out the siblings and hope to make contact with some, if I think they will reply.

I think DNA is the way forward sometimes.  I'm glad that my Aunty T, on my Paternal side and Uncle B, on my maternal side have tested for me.  It helps to filter DNA matches a little.  However, we don't take an equal amount from our parents and my brother, or sister will take different amounts, which I find really interesting.  I don't think either would be up for a test though, thinking it would be to intrusive to their lives.

I look forward to any tentative links you might be able to offer in the future.

Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 May 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hey Garstonite, or Shredded Wheat!  My husband, being a Scot, prefers porridge.  Not a fan ….

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 May 20 08:12 BST (UK) »

National Archives have one of them:

Rainford. Order of filiation and maintenance of Mary, bastard daughter of James Pilkington of Windle, husbandman, and Esther Glover, singlewoman
Date:1789 4 Aug

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8af95da5-b398-4c47-915c-71ab0c65f9fd

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
Wow Bevo, what a find!  Mary is my 4th GGM.  I've not used the National Archives online before.  I suppose once we can move around freely, I could try and get down to the Lancashire Archives when they are open, if they have the record(s).  I'm in Scotland and we are still advised not to travel unless essential anyway.

I wonder who James was and why they didn't marry.  Also, if he is the father of all of the children.  At least it will make sense when someone with James' DNA matches with me  ;D

thanks so much, Kit

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 May 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Rainford. Order of filiation and maintenance of Betty, bastard child of James Culshaw, weaver, and Esther Glover, singlewoman
Date   24 Jul 1800

found in Lancs Archives catalogue - also there is the one already posted

Maybe there was a different father for each of the children

Sarah died age 3