Author Topic: I wouldn't be here if..........  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I wouldn't be here if..........
« Reply #54 on: Monday 25 May 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be here if my widowed gt-grandmother hadn't left her Huntingdonshire village home with her 8 children to live in Burnley, Lancs., where they all found employment (ag labs were going out of fashion).  My grandfather became an apprentice draper.  One day a milliner's apprentice was sent to the draper's shop to buy some hat trimmings.  It was love at first sight and they married aged 19 & 20.  Well, they had to - their first child was born 3 months after the wedding! :o
Not a dramatic story like some on this thread.  Just a simple everyday tale.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 25 May 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
I probably wouldn't be here if my gt gt grandparents hadn't been first cousins. He lived in Liverpool and she lived in Bury and I doubt if they would ever had met each other if there hadn't been that family connection - her father and his mother were brother and sister.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be here if my widowed gt-grandmother hadn't left her Huntingdonshire village home with her 8 children to live in Burnley, Lancs., where they all found employment (ag labs were going out of fashion).  My grandfather became an apprentice draper.  One day a milliner's apprentice was sent to the draper's shop to buy some hat trimmings.  It was love at first sight and they married aged 19 & 20.  Well, they had to - their first child was born 3 months after the wedding! :o
Not a dramatic story like some on this thread.  Just a simple everyday tale.

I suppose when you think about it, most of us wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for things like that. My great x3 grandfather was born in Yarmouth, lived in London as a child but by the age of 20 was in Liverpool, where he married. His son then became a mariner, sailed backwards and forwards to London where he met and married my great x 2 grandmother.
On my maternal side my 2x great grandmother was born in London but in her 20s was working as a servant in a rectory in a small Suffolk village, where she met  her future husband. After his death she returned to London with their 4 children..
It does make you stop and think sometimes, that if anyone along the line had made a different decision, life would have been very different.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
Both my sets of grandparents met because of WW2. Both grandfathers were in the RAF and this led to them meeting their future wives.

A generation before that, I strongly suspect that one of my sets of great-grandparents met because of WW1, but I have no proof.

I also exist because of the railway. In the 1880s my g-g-grandfather moved to Surrey to work on the railways, and it was there that he met and married my g-g-grandmother. Another set of g-g-grandparents moved from a rural area to a town that was becoming a popular resort due to the arrival of the railway.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
For me, this thread confirms yet again - and often I need it confirming - that far from it being a significant event that I am here in this world, it's just pure chance.

A few small changes, and it wouldn't be me at all.

Thank you to all of my ancestors who acted as they did, suffered and carried on as they did, refused to be put down, for producing this result. 

I'll try and make myself just a little bit worthy of you.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 25 May 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Further back had Napoleon not threatened invasion my 2x great grandfather would not have joined the Somerset Militia and moved from Somerset to Alford Lincs where he met and marriedy 2great grandmotger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 25 May 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
  Slightly off topic, but I would love to know how my grandfather's cousin, a petty officer coming to the end of his 20 years in the navy, and with most of his relatives in Kent, came to meet and marry a woman born and brought up in Camberwell, London. My only thought is that she was in service somewhere.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
  Slightly off topic, but I would love to know how my grandfather's cousin, a petty officer coming to the end of his 20 years in the navy, and with most of his relatives in Kent, came to meet and marry a woman born and brought up in Camberwell, London. My only thought is that she was in service somewhere.

I have that situation of working in a large London house too  = a Yorkshire lass married in London but who came back home to have her first child and the vicar kindly noted that father was a servant in London.

Having said that, I can offer an alternative;  If you look at genuki it states that:-

""HERNE HILL, a hamlet and suburban district in the parish of Camberwell, county Surrey, 3 miles S. of St. Paul's, London. It is a station on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway.

The groom's ship might have had a refit in Chatham Docks and his intended bride just happened to work nearby or usually travelled to Chatham for a regular market or a social event.   

Currently it's  an approx 28 miles train ride taking approx one hour - and that's after the Beeching cuts.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:16 BST (UK) »
… my Swiss great grandfather hadn't emigrated to Australia, returned home, then emigrated again to the goldfields at Castlemaine, where he met my great grandmother. They married there in 1863 - interestingly the minister was Patrick Smythe, of Eureka Stockade fame.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk