Author Topic: William Jeffries and Mary (?) circa 1820  (Read 746 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Jeffries and Mary (?) circa 1820
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 May 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
I note from 1841 census that William was some 10+ years older than wife Mary, and that when he died shown as bc.1796.

I think this could be his baptism:

William Jeffery bp.4/7/1796 Horsham St Faith and Newton, Norfolk, son of John and Mary.

I had noted that there was also a Henry Jefferies in Hethersett shown born 'St Faiths' in 1790's and subsequently found:

Henry Holmsby (?) Jefferies b.14/5/1791, bp.16/5/1791 Horsham St Faith and Newton, son of John and Mary
John - same details so twins? - buried 24/6/1791 Horsham St. Faith and Newton.

then

Elizabeth Jeffries bp.15/2/1793 Hethersett, dau. of John and Mary (nee Hemsley).

John Jefferies married Mary Hemsley 28/7/1788 Hethersett (shown as his parish) and baptisms above show at least 4 children born to them 3 at Horsham St. Faith and Newton and one in Hethersett.

John bc.1764 bur.29/1/1846 Hethersett
Mary bc.1753 bur.26/1/1835     ditto

(Perhaps William, like father John, preferred older women??)

Annette

This is quite possible. How do you think I’d go about clarifying this? A quick look on family search didn’t reveal much

Once you are reliant on parish records there is no 'clarification' as such - it basically comes down to logic.   The fact that living in Hethersett in 1841/1851 were your William and an older Henry who subsequently are both shown to be sons of a John and Mary who alternate between Horsham St. Faith and Newton and Hethersett seems a pretty good bet to me.

In 1841 father John is living with married daughter Elizabeth (now Copeman) in St. Stephen, Norwich (the parish William married in) - Elizabeth Jefferies married Edward Copeman 7/4/1819 St. Saviour, Norwich.   John died 1846 and was buried in his home parish of Hethersett.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk