Author Topic: acronym  (Read 2243 times)

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
acronym
« on: Monday 18 May 20 19:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the meaning of the acronym BVE from Source in the Naairs files. I think it is German but would like to be sure.
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: acronym
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
It seems to be the South African version of "Custodian of Enemy Property", but I don't believe it concerns just German assets/compagnies.

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hello TreeSpirit,
I was hoping it would be German because I want it to be German. The family I am tracing are said to have come from Germany around 1918 to South West Africa and then to South Africa. Records are very thin on the ground.
When the archives re- open I can send for the full details and hope that gives me answers.
Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated.   :)
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 May 20 15:56 BST (UK) »

Hi

Can you tell me which repository used that acronym, was it from a search result, if so could you let me have the details, I may be able to shed some light on it for you.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello 3SD
I found this entry in a naairs document. Depot SAB, Source BVE, Type Leer. I have a screenshot of the entry if it would be of any use.
Thanks for helping.   :) :)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 10:09 BST (UK) »

Yes please, the different repositories have different acronyms for various things.  It will help to find the dept. that it belongs to and perhaps narrow the search.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
Here's the screenshot, 3SD. Do you know which depot to send to for the full document ?  ;)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't find that acronym under the SAB source codes, but it could be a combination of BE - Protector of Enemy Property and BVV -Dept of Foreign Affairs.   Since according to her Death Notice (which is on Family Search) she was born in Germany she may have been considered and enemy of the State as the Union of SA fought on the side of Britain.  She may have been interned in a POW camp.

Not sure if you will get a response, and some don't do document searches.  You may have to get a researcher to go and get copies of the document.  Unfortunately those documents are not online like a lot of the Death Notices.

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/NARS%20DMLIB%208372%20March%202012.pdf

Freelance researchers.  Not sure how many of them are still active.

Hope this helps

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
The only Erna Simon I could find on FamilySearch died in 1945 and the Erna I am looking for married  a Schmidt, divorced him in 1944, married a van der Spuy, then divorced him and remarried Schmidt. Thank you information and help. I will keep chipping away at this as my granddaughter would like to know where the Eastern European % comes from in her dna results. Definitely not from my Scottish side.!
Thanks for your input Mj but I think it is more likely to be to do with being German
 :) :)