Author Topic: McGookin Family (East Antrim)  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: McGookin Family (East Antrim)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 February 24 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 24 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Arthur John McGookin (born 1915) did in fact marry Elsie Togneri.  She is my mother's stepsister.  Do you have any information about her parents or siblings?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 24 17:23 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Arthur John McGookin (born 1915) did in fact marry Elsie Togneri. 

Can you advise when and where they married?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Elsie and Arthur are the witnesses on my grandmother's marriage license, so at that point in 1941 Elsie and Arthur were not yet married.  But I'll get back to you on a more precise date.

Mike

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Elsie and Arthur appear to have gotten married in 1941.  You can see an image of the registration here: https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/search/marriage

The fee to view it is minimal.  That's how I got my grandmother's marriage record.

Mike

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The General Register Office (Northern Ireland) website marriage index shows a marriage on Christmas Day 1941 (registered Ards) between Arthur McGookin and Ersilia Togneria, the record is pay to view, it should show the father and father's occupation for each party.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1941 Larne Times reference to an Elsie Togneri of  West Street, Carrickfergus, also 1937 and 1939 newspaper references to Peter Togneri of the same street, described as the proprietor of a fish and chip saloon and ice cream seller.

Offline MikeK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Adding to this...I found out that there were two women named Ersilia Togneri.  It's on my to-do list to figure out which one is which, but one of them did marry Arthur McGookin.  And one, maybe the same person, was born in 1914 and was the daughter of Maria Togneri (nee Cardosi).

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 08:00 GMT (UK) »

Adding to this...I found out that there were two women named Ersilia Togneri.  It's on my to-do list to figure out which one is which, but one of them did marry Arthur McGookin.  And one, maybe the same person, was born in 1914 and was the daughter of Maria Togneri (nee Cardosi).

If you have seen the 1941 marriage record, you should know who her father was.  What is his name?

The North Down Herald and County Down Independent of 23 January 1926 has a mention of a 50 year old Mr. G. Togneri of Ballymagee Street in Bangor Co. Down (now High Street), attending the Bangor Local Education Sub-Committee with his child Elsie Togneri in relation to Elsie's poor school attendance.

Also note the following Togneri (Umberto) and Teresa Funia in Ballymagee Street Bangor having a son Giuseppe in 1917, maybe related:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1917/01307/1540614.pdf