Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12600 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 23 May 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Airline security isn't likely to be a priority of any of us for a while.
Cowban

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 23 May 20 19:07 BST (UK) »
Years ago I used to take my croquet mallet as hand-baggage; and hand it over to the steward/ess.

But then Birmingham Airport stopped me ::)
They said it was a dangerous weapon?

After that episode, I bought a 2-stage, take-down rifle case for the mallet! (It was the right size!!)
The case then contained a mallet, a pair of flat-soled trainers, and a few odds-n-sods.

Every time I went to Jersey, I was stopped at the airport and asked if it was a gun!
I never locked the case! Made it easier to show what was inside ;D

I even painted "Isle of Man Croquet" in big yellow letters on it :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 23 May 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
My sister had a door handle confiscated! She'd had it in her handbag as she'd been trying to find a matching one and forgotten it was there! Not sure what they thought she was going to do with that.

My great niece, when she was 2 and a half, had her toy gun confiscated from her back pack. My niece was so embarrassed as she didn't know she'd slipped it in. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 23 May 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
My sister had a door handle confiscated!

Was it a round one from the 1930's? 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 24 May 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
I hate to imagine what would emerge from my bag during an unexpected search!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 24 May 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
Talking of knobs...what a prime example of door furniture is Dominic Cummings?

I'd pretty much got to 95% sure that the government was treating us like mugs, now I'm at 100%. We're being turned into a police state where everyone else has to do what they're told but the elite can snigger into their pay packets and do what they like.

Enough!  >:(

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 24 May 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 24 May 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
Talking of knobs...what a prime example of door furniture is Dominic Cummings?

I'd pretty much got to 95% sure that the government was treating us like mugs, now I'm at 100%. We're being turned into a police state where everyone else has to do what they're told but the elite can snigger into their pay packets and do what they like.

Enough!  >:(

If I did what he did I would be up for a disciplinary and the whole country would not have had a clue what I had done.  I wouldn't do it though because I don't want to be responsible for others dying.  Incidentally I was told that if I had a sense of responsibility I would leave my child alone to go to work so that to me makes them even bigger hypocrites.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 24 May 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
Last year I bought a brass H0 scale steam loco boiler from USA for use in a model. It duly arrived re wrapped in border force adhesive tape. It had been opened and resealed. Not surprising really. It was the shape and weight of a small hand gun!
My wife expected a visit from them, but I said if it had been a gun they would have visited at 2am unannounced by smashing the door down, and I would only have seen it during interrogation.
Been very circumspect about the shape of things I have bought since. But pleased they were doing their job properly.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)