Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12608 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 24 May 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
Last year I bought a brass H0 scale steam loco boiler from USA for use in a model. It duly arrived re wrapped in border force adhesive tape. It had been opened and resealed. Not surprising really. It was the shape and weight of a small hand gun!
My wife expected a visit from them, but I said if it had been a gun they would have visited at 2am unannounced by smashing the door down, and I would only have seen it during interrogation.
Been very circumspect about the shape of things I have bought since. But pleased they were doing their job properly.

Can you imagine the disappointment though, when they discovered they hadn't made a great find?   ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 24 May 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
Talking of knobs...what a prime example of door furniture is Dominic Cummings?

I'd pretty much got to 95% sure that the government was treating us like mugs, now I'm at 100%. We're being turned into a police state where everyone else has to do what they're told but the elite can snigger into their pay packets and do what they like.

Enough!  >:(

I see the PM is leading the daily briefing himself at 5pm, unusual for him to do that at the weekend. Perhaps everyone else refused to do it as they knew they would have to answer a lot of questions! Will he now defend and make excuses for him or announce that he's resigned?

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 24 May 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
Have just read on a local forum that the reason Dominic Cumming drove to Durham was that as both he and his wife had symptoms of the virus, if they became seriously ill they would need someone to look after the children and therefore they took a house near their family but self isolated, his sister left their shopping outside.

First of all let me say I am NOT defending him, here in the North East we have some of the highest number of cases in the country, hardly surprising if people like him are importing possible cases from London. And why do they need to come here to get someone to look after the children? What about all the people in London who have had the same problem? Just another politician whose policies seem to include do as I say, not as I do.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
Have just read on a local forum that the reason Dominic Cumming drove to Durham was that as both he and his wife had symptoms of the virus, if they became seriously ill they would need someone to look after the children and therefore they took a house near their family but self isolated, his sister left their shopping outside.

First of all let me say I am NOT defending him, here in the North East we have some of the highest number of cases in the country, hardly surprising if people like him are importing possible cases from London. And why do they need to come here to get someone to look after the children? What about all the people in London who have had the same problem? Just another politician whose policies seem to include do as I say, not as I do.

Fair enough if there was no one to care for the child, however it has been said that the child has a nanny, which if true means they could have stayed in London. Apparently they also have relatives living close by in London. What is worse is that it has now come to light that he went out while they were there and also that after returning to London he then made another journey north.

However none of that matters as the Prime Minister has said what he did is fine and he's staying!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
Well, now we know  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Disgusted, and perhaps we will soon see the consequences  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:19 BST (UK) »

What is worse is that it has now come to light that he went out while they were there and also that after returning to London he then made another journey north.

Allegedly - At least I believe the second trip is. However, Cummings must go. The lady in Scotland and gent England who ignored "the rules" had to go and so should he.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
I'm furious. When the lockdown was announced I was in Wales, as a friend's daughter was about to have a major operation and she'd asked if I'd go to support them. I had to make the decision, did I ignore the rules and stay on, or come home. I reluctantly decided I should come home - seems now that I could have stayed on. As it was, the operation was cancelled, but I didn't know that when I left Wales. Presumably now, if it is rescheduled soon,  I can go back?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
groom:  that might depend on your name, and who you work for  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
groom:  that might depend on your name, and who you work for  :-\

;D ;D ;D ;D  I could wear a mask.