Author Topic: Thomas and Peter Christie's parents  (Read 749 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Peter Christie's parents
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 May 20 06:27 BST (UK) »
You have said that Peter married 3 times - who did he claim was his father on any/all of those marriages?

Have I got the correct censuses for Thomas of 1851, 1861 and his widow and family in 1871 - as some of the names change?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 May 20 06:55 BST (UK) »
On attestation Thomas was reported to be 20 years and 7 months old, on 17th April 1839 i.e. born August/September 1818, in St Cuthberts.
Have you found any baptism record?  Did he lie about his age or place of birth?

Added:
He claims 41 years and 10 months when discharged in November 1860, which would make birth around January 1819

Offline nelson2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 May 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thats for the info. I have Thomas as the father on Thomas's marriage doc. to Mary Anne Gray, and for Peter's marriage to her. I have the marriage banns for Agnes Irvine, but cannot find any record of the marriage doc. No mention of his father. I have marriage index for marriage to Anne Rhodes in Sheffield England. No record of a father. My uncle wrote that only a fragment of the doc. remained.

Referring to the census, for a long long while I had thought that there were two Thomas Christie families, but I see the same birth places and roughly the same names. I think Mary Anne is Eliza A. My relative"s family notes have Mary Anne dying in Philadelphia in 1876.

I have been using Scotpeople to find a Thomas born roughly on either date mentioned. I did not have success in that endeavor, however I found that there is a James Christie/margaret Masson whom I am going to check out. There is both a Peter and Thomas in their family. Maybe it is a Thomas James???