Author Topic: How easy is it to find a connection ....  (Read 790 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How easy is it to find a connection ....
« on: Thursday 21 May 20 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have been researching my paternal McKenzie line after finding my 6x GG Murdoch 'Allan' MacKenzie, born circa 1670 in Kintail. He was a foster brother to Flora/Florence daughter of Allan MacDonald of Morar and sister-in-law to the then Laird of Coll.

I was browing WikiTree, where I was looking at the MacKenzie's of Kintail. I came across a page for Alexander MacKenzie of Davochmaluac 7th, son of Kenneth '6th Laird of Davochmaluach' MacKenzie. On Alexander's page it says this - It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Alexander by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Alexander:

It lists 3 gentlemen, 2 of which are Arbuthnot family that seem heavily descended from Clan nobility. I don't know whether I can write their names due to confidentiality. I match 4 chromosomes with one of the Sir's (the other is private) and I match with the 3rd man too.

Is it easier to find a connection if you are linked through DNA with someone who is part of clan 'nobility' for want of a better word, or is it just as difficult?

Thanks,

Keelan

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How easy is it to find a connection to Clan nobility
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 20 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have been researching my paternal McKenzie line after finding my 6x GG Murdoch 'Allan' MacKenzie, born circa 1670 in Kintail. He was a foster brother to Flora/Florence daughter of Allan MacDonald of Morar and sister-in-law to the then Laird of Coll.

I was browing WikiTree, where I was looking at the MacKenzie's of Kintail. I came across a page for Alexander MacKenzie of Davochmaluac 7th, son of Kenneth '6th Laird of Davochmaluach' MacKenzie. On Alexander's page it says this - It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Alexander by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Alexander:

It lists 3 gentlemen, 2 of which are Arbuthnot family that seem heavily descended from Clan nobility. I don't know whether I can write their names due to confidentiality. I match 4 chromosomes with one of the Sir's (the other is private) and I match with the 3rd man too.

Is it easier to find a connection if you are linked through DNA with someone who is part of clan 'nobility' for want of a better word, or is it just as difficult?

Thanks,

Keelan