Author Topic: Catherine (Kate) Duncan  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine (Kate) Duncan
« on: Thursday 21 May 20 10:58 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on this lady who was my Uncles mother(?) Tragicly she drowned in Aberdeen  harbour about 1960 aged 71 I believe. Her married name was Duncan and lived in Aberdeen .Her son was Alexander John Duncan b 1926 not sure of the husbands name but think its George. Always know in the family at that time as 'Kate'.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. David

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine (Kate) Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 20 13:05 BST (UK) »
Found a death record for 1960 for a Catherine Margaret Oliphant by drowning! Also said that she was widow to William McHardy Duncan. No fathers name quoted only  mother Mary Ann Shepherd.(deceased). All this just adds to the mystery as none the names seem to tie up with handed down information.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 20 13:51 BST (UK) »
Birthyear approx 1889 so have you checked SP for a marriage?  There is one in 1911 between Catherine M Oliphant Shepherd & William McHardy Duncan

Birth 1888 - Catherine Margaret Shepherd
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thank You CaroleW! I have looked on SP as suggested and found the marriage & birth record of Catherine. Now, If they married in 1911 there is a big gap between that and  of their son Alexander John Duncan in 1926. Assuming there is a family connection. cannot, at this stage, find a death record for William.
Catherine's death record in 1960 states 'widow' so unlikely a second marriage.
Appreciate opinions. David

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 May 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Using the name William McHardy Duncan I’ve just searched Scotland’s People for a death (using only William Duncan),  anywhere in Scotland, between 1926 and 1960.  It returned 33 pages!  But it’s ‘lockdown’ so I was happy to take the time to scroll through all the pages!  Two deaths caught my eye.

1  Willian Hardy Duncan, died 1926, RD St Nicholas (not sure what area that is)

2  William Allardy Duncan, died 1928, RD Rubislaw ( which is in Aberdeen)

The name McHardy, when written at speed and possibly without care, could be misread as Allardy - I’ve just tried it!   I would think that in the 1920s registering a death would require a birth certificate to be produced and maybe a ‘best guess’ at the middle name badly written on the birth certificate was Allardy.    Just a thought!

Anne

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
RD St Nicholas is in Aberdeen, too, so possibly both might be worth looking at more closely.
Anne

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 May 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ann. I have looked at the entries on SP. The William Allardy one stated age '0' so a still birth. The William Hardy entry wife's name looks like Helen McKenzie not Catherine.
Back to the drawing board! Lockdown has cost me a fortune in credits on SP! Thanks again. David

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 May 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
The gap of 15yrs between 1911 & 1926 could mean other children were born before Alexander

What were Williams parents names on the 1911 marriage cert and how old was William in 1911?

Did they marry before or after the 1911 census?

EDIT

Don't you have a copy of Alexander's birth cert confirming his parents names?  You say "I believe her married name was Duncan"  and "not sure of the husbands name but think it was George"

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 May 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
There is only one parent on the wedding cert Annie Duncan Domestic Servant. He was 23 years old.
Catherine Margaret Oliphant Shepherd also has only one parent as she was illegitimate, Mary Ann Shepherd Domestic Servant she also was 23 years old.
Marriage was 13th September 1911, I do not know when the census was done. Thank You. david