Author Topic: Catherine (Kate) Duncan  (Read 2035 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine (Kate) Duncan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 May 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Alexander John Duncan died in 2005 in Ellon, Aberdeen

The mother's maiden surname on that death is MILNE  ???
ev

I noticed that too, Ev. Must be unconnected to the family of William and Kate you would think?

There is a death of a George Duncan:

George DUNCAN
Age 80
Mother's maiden name OLIPHANT
301/ 718
Aberdeen

There is also another death with mother also showing as Oliphant:

William DUNCAN
Age 73
Mother's maiden name OLIPHANT
300/ 562
Aberdeen

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on this lady who was my Uncles mother(?) Tragicly she drowned in Aberdeen  harbour about 1960 aged 71 I believe. Her married name was Duncan and lived in Aberdeen .Her son was Alexander John Duncan b 1926 not sure of the husbands name but think its George. Always know in the family at that time as 'Kate'.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. David

David, your original post mentions that Alexander John was your uncle. Given the confusion on the first name, have you found his marriage entry on the index at SP to confirm how he is named?

There looks to be 2 marriage entries for an Alexander John Duncan from Ellon. One in 1951 and the second in 1952.

Monica

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
Re my reply, Reply #9, I apologise for  S H O U T I N G via use of capital letters.
It’s really not like me!  Must be to do with the stress of lockdown. 

Sorry.  Keep up the search!

Anne

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
Anne, No Problem! I have just had 38 days of isolation stuck in the same building to comply with Maltese law on over 65's & diabetics. I thank everyone for their help   with my searches. To start with I only family memories and a memory of meeting my Scottish relatives when very young.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Given that Alexander John Duncan is your uncle that should mean that either; One of your parent's is his sibling so, does your parent's documents show details of their mother? Were there other siblings?
Or, he must have married an aunt of yours. If that is the case you must know who he married & could obtain a copy of that marriage certificate. Who did Alexander marry if that is the case?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
Alexander’s 1927 birth cert is going to be applied for once the current situation ends.  That will show who his parents were.   The object is to find details of his mothers death by drowning so without knowing her name - that is an impossible task given the number of Duncan entries

His marriage cert would have to be applied for as he probably married more than 75yrs ago so it’s the same waiting game

It is clear from all the info posted so far that the 1960 death does not “fit the bill”

EDIT

There are 4 Duncan/Milne marriages in Aberdeen between 1915-1927.  Based purely on name -  the likeliest is the 1919 between Alexander John Duncan & Edith Milne.

However - that pre-supposes they married in Aberdeen.  There are another 7 in other counties for the same period
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
Alexander was an uncle by marriage to my mothers sister. They married in Sept 1949. She was known as Bettty Duncan but probably Elizabeth. Certs not available at the moment. thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
See my addition to my reply above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1949 in Ellon for an Alexander HARDY Duncan to an Elizabeth McDon...Smith or Davidson. Indexed twice with the different surnames.

Also a marriage in 1949 for an Alexander John Duncan to an Elizabeth Cruickshank in Springburn Lanarkshire.

Is it one of these?

Monica