Author Topic: James kerr  (Read 737 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James kerr
« on: Friday 22 May 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
James kerr was born on the 2nd of january 1885  dumfries his parents were john kerr and margaret wallace he had siblings that I have plenty of history . What I have discovered on ancestry and the mormon free family research site is incorrect regarding james. Families claim that he married an isabel milligan and emigrated to america.checking it out on scotlands people it states that his parents were not as the afore mentioned. Apologies for going on and on but it still leaves me trying to find the elusive james.any help woulbe appreciated,stoop.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James kerr
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 May 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Have you followed him through the censues?  What was the last sighting of him and what was his occupation?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 May 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
He was 16 in 1901 and a telephone messenger, I have not been able to trace him after that.thanks gadget, stoop.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 May 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
I've just found that census entry. They're in Troqueer. I'll see what I can find.

What makes you  sure he didn't marry Isabel Milligan and  emigrate? -

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 May 20 17:28 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that the James Kerr married to Isabella Milligan in 1909 Kirkcudbright according to his WW2 draft was born 11 November 1885 Kirkcudbright. So not the James with the birth date 2 January 1885.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Parents died 1907 and 1917, both Troqueer.  Not found a possible for his mother on 1911 so far.

A possible for him on the 1911 but I'm  not sure. Would he have become a drover ???  Also quit a few WW1 entries but nothing certain.

I have a feeling that I've looked at this family a few times over the years, stoop  :)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi sandra , indeed james who was born on the 2nd january 1885 dumfries is my james. The james who married isabella milligan in 1909 indeed emigrated to america,his father was also james and I think his mother was mary  Roger's this information is from scotlands people. Thank you both sandra and gadget I appreciate your interest.regards stoop.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 May 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Is this the same James ?  It says he was awarded the MM and died in 1944 ?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752390.msg6009543#msg6009543

Sandra

Sorry, had to take a phone call. Anc tree shows James Kerr son of James Kerr and Jane Stirling.
James married to Margaret Tait. (1916)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
The father's correct but James's birthdate is wrong, Sandra.