Author Topic: 1841 & 1851 census look-up please  (Read 731 times)

Offline jillsusan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 & 1851 census look-up please
« on: Tuesday 23 August 05 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could anybody please help me to find my great great Grandfather, Harry Chapman Hartt?
He was born in Wells Norfolk about 1838, but I have been unable to find a birth entry for him.
In the 1861 census, he is living in Brighton, age 22yrs.(Surname has been spelt incorrectly,as Harth)As I have been unable to find him in the Norfolk census, I wonder If they moved to Brighton soon after he was born.He married in Brighton in 1865, & remained there until his death in 1893.
I would be very grateful if anyone could help.
Thanks
Jill

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are no Hartt entries in the Brighton 1851 census.  There is one Harry Hart and six Henry Hart.   No other details given.   Do you know his father's name?   It will be on the marriage certificate.     The possibilities for mis-spelling Hartt are many.  I assume you searched without the extra t and with an e on the end etc when you were looking for his birth?   
Have you looked at the Wells parish registers to see if you can find a baptism?   Chapman will almost certainly be a family name - his mother or older female relative.  Any sign of a marriage on the IGI between Hart and Chapman?
Having said that, I think the Wells is one of the many Norfolk parishes not on the IGI so that makes looking at the film even more important.
Good luck
Andrea

Offline jillsusan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea
Thanks for that. His father was William Hartt.
I have searched on all sorts of spellings of Hartt
I have tried putting just Harry born in Wells Norfolk about 1838 give or take 5yrs, but cannot find anything.I have found the Marriage of Sophia Chapman & Thomas Hartt in Ketteringham Norfolk in 1815, & Wonder if Harry is their Grandson? It is just about possible if they had William soon after their marriage.Although William is not shown as deceased on Harry's marriage certificate in 1865, I cannot find him on the 1861 or 71 census.William's occupation is" Farmer"
I think I may only find the answer in the Well's
parish records.
Thanks again
Jill

Offline jillsusan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 05 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea
A researcher in Norfolk has checked the Wells parish records for me & Has only found a Henry Chapman born in oct 1837, his mother is Harriet Chapman spinster.
I still cannot find his birth entry, but as records had only just started, & if he was illegitimate I don't suppose she would be in a hurry to register him. I can only find one Harriet & William Hart in the 1861 census
who are living in Norfolk, but by then my Harry Chapman Hartt is living in lodgings in Brighton. I need to find him living at home in the 1841/51 census to shed some light on this.If Henry Chapman is my grt. grt grandfather, maybe Harriet went on to marry William Hart(t).
Please could you look at the 1851 census for a Harriet Chapman , or William & Harriet Hart(t)? or any of the Henry Harts born in Norfolk who would be about 4 or 14 yrs of age.
Thanks very much for your help.
Jill