Author Topic: William Fraser, merchant navy, POW 1914  (Read 610 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Fraser, merchant navy, POW 1914
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 May 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
I found him on FindMyPast - but not this record - in a list of those at Rhuleben with an R by his name which the notes said meant he was at Neu Strelitz. That had a last known address - Rodney St in Cardiff - in 1914 where his daughter and son in law were living at the time of their son’s baptism, so this would appear to be the same William. I’ll follow through on the birth / baptism record posted by ev.

These types of records are all very new to me (my own tree is 99% births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials) so thanks all, great help as always.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 May 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
With the birthdate given of 27/2/1869 and place of birth given as Aberdeen he is easy to find:

William Fraser b.27/2/1869 St. Nicholas, Aberdeen son of John Fraser and Ann Petrie.

In 1871 he is at Nethergate, Aberdeen with siblings and mother Ann - she is shown as seaman's wife so father John was a seaman too.   His mother Ann is shown on an ancestry tree to have died in 1874 so don't know what happened to family after that.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 May 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette, found his mother’s burial, and father’s re-marriage. William is a ship steward in Aberdeen on the 1891, with his father, step-mother and family. Daughter Catherine born only 18 months later in Cardiff, William now a dock labourer. Guess he was on board ship and came to Cardiff, but not sure we’ll ever know that.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....