Author Topic: Mary Agnes Power, Born 1885-1888, Cardiff, married John Patrick Welton ~1908  (Read 636 times)

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm looking for information about Mary Agnes Power. She married John Patrick Welton in late 1907 or early 1908 (marriage index is in Mar quarter 1908) and their first child, Ivy Winifred Welton, was born in June 1908. I have been able to trace John Welton's roots to Ireland but I cannot get any further with Mary Power. The 1911 census (where the surname is spelt "Whelton") shows that she was born in Cardiff, Glamorganshire, and her age is 23 (therefore birth year is approx 1888.) The date of birth I have (25 Nov 1885) comes from the 1939 register. However, I cannot find her in any census before her marriage, nor can I determine a birth index record for her. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What was her father’s name and occupation on her marriage certificate?

Maybe her birth wasn’t registered with Agnes included. There is a Mary Power aged 5 in Milton St Roath on the 1891 census, born Cardiff, with father John (fireman born ireland around 1845) and mother Bridget (born Bristol (1853). And other children.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Possibly Mary Power, registered March quarter 1886, Cardiff, mother Sparland. 11a, 281.

Possible marriage of John Power and Bridget Sparling, Bristol, Dec quarter 1868. 6a, 191.

Earlier children born Bristol on the 1891 in Cardiff.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sorry, I don't have her marriage certificate and, with covid-19 around, that's not so easy to get at the moment. The only information I have about the marriage comes from the marriage index. I was hoping that there might be a transcript of the marriage that I haven't yet been able to locate!

I don't think the birth can have been registered with "Agnes" either. I did find a GRO birth entry for a Mary Power registered in Mar quarter of 1886 (which ties up with the birthdate of late 1885 on the 1939 register) with a mmn of Sparland. I then found a birth entry for 1853 for a Bridget Sparland (in Bristol) so that ties up with the details you have supplied from the 1891 census. So, that might be a possibility. I might have to wait until it becomes possible to order certificates again.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
You could try the local registration office; everyone is trying to keep operating at some level at the moment and may be able to help.

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I live in Australia so the only way I am aware of to obtain certificates is through GRO - and they are saying that, if it is not urgent, to apply at a later date.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Details for Cardiff registrars attached

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks for that!

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Agnes Power, Born 1885-1888, Cardiff, married John Patrick Welton ~1908
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Idyia14

According to her husband's WW1 service  record, Mary Agnes Power married John on 3 feb 1908 at St Patrick's Church Grangetown (Roman Catholic). His records confirm he was Roman Catholic. Unfortunately no further info apart from the date regarding their marriage, but his record does list the names and dates of 5 daughters and 2 addresses they lived at  - 227 Penarth Rd and a previous address of 38 Somerset st.

Living at 39 Somerset st in 1911 was John Power, Dock Labourer, born 1837 in county Tipperary Ireland. His wife was Bridget, born 1844 Bristol Somerset. The same family Deirdre 784 gives the 1881 census details of.

They had 14 children born 2 of which had died. 5 children were living with them, one - Edward married to Alice, with their 4 children   

Children were : James s Power born 1869 in St Mary's Bristol, Annie 1871 also born Bristol and Edward b. 1881.
The others were born in Roath -
Annie 1871
Peter 1887
Elizabeth 1891

In 1891 they are at 36 Milton st Roath, John is a  Fireman (seas) born Ireland and Brdiget born Bristol
Children born Bristol are
Annie 17
William 11
Edward 9

Joseph 7
Mary 5 - your Mary
Peter 3 all born Cardiff

It might be worth contacting St Patrick's regarding the marriage certificate and to see if they can help with baptism records, which would I think list grandparents.
https://www.stpatrickscardiff.co.uk/contact