Author Topic: Condon of Mitchelstown  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Carlina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Condon of Mitchelstown
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 November 23 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Update about out Redmond Condon.
This name is definitely recurring in my family tree, however I checked my Australian records and my grandfather's grandfather was James, not Redmond.
He did have a son and grandson called Redmond.
To find out how my John Condon, son of James and Elizabeth (Kelly), ended up in Victoria Australia,  I need to find James  and Elizabeth Kelly. I don't know if they remained in Ireland or migrated to Australia.
There is a good chance they were dairy farmers because John  Condon ran his own dairy farm in Carlton Victoria, Australia. I'm sure this was from around Mitchelstown.
John met and married his wife in Australia. Bridget McMahon.

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 24 09:49 BST (UK) »
With the name Redmond.... I have seen a document about this specific Redmond Condon and it suggests that his name was Edmund... but the parish register definitely looks like Redmond.  I wonder if the family used the name Edmund but added an R to differentiate him from the other Edmunds?  I know i have seen the name Edmund recorded as John in my family which is confusing.    Redmond may not have been the eldest son.... which is why his father is known to you as James.   Some trees have the father as William but that doesnt seem to fit the names of Redmonds children..... or his age at death.

Regarding his immigration.  Two thoughts... one is that if he travelled alone, he would need to be around 18 years old... so the immigration would be 1882-1888 (1882 he is 18 and 1888 he marries in Australia).
The other thought is that his siblings came with him... or sponsored his arrival.

Either way, there is an arrival that could be him on the GARONE 5 Apr. 1883.  The port is not as obvious.... could be Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide.  I think Adelaide is likely because he has siblings there already. And I also know the dairy famer Dwyer family who are related to the Condons had some family in SA at the same time.

The 1901 census shows the parents Redmond and Elizabeth are living in Mitchelstown Cork.... so they didn't come to Australia.

It looks like his siblings....
Maria married in South Australia in 1882.
Cecilia married in South Australia in 1881
Jane married in South Australia in 1880
Kate married in Victoria 1891

so Jane is likely to be the first arrival to Australia.... I think its possible Jane and her husband sponsored the arrival of the siblings to SA, then some moved to Victoria.

I noticed some trees have Eliza Condon dying in Australia.... but I think she died in Mitchelstown Cork in 1912.... the Civil Death record seems to support that... and shows her as a widow which was correct because Redmond died in 1908.

I have attached a few records/newspapers etc that may help.  Some show Bridget McMahon having family all over Australia too.   I will upload some records too
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 24 09:53 BST (UK) »
census 1901 showing parents living in Ireland.... Bridget the daughter is single.. but i think she is the Bridget O'Brien mentioned on the mothers death record 1912

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000587150/
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 24 09:55 BST (UK) »
Death record for Redmond in 1908

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05502/4541543.pdf

Death record for Eliza Condon.  Notice the daughter Bridget is present at the time of death.... and it shows her surname as O'Brien.... so there should be  a marriage of Bridget Condon to an O'Brien between 1901 and 1912.    The 1901 census records Bridget as Condon so I assume she is single

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05363/4495334.pdf
IRELAND....

ENGLAND

Convicts to Australia
Military History

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 May 24 12:21 BST (UK) »
Death record for Redmond in 1908

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05502/4541543.pdf

Death record for Eliza Condon.  Notice the daughter Bridget is present at the time of death.... and it shows her surname as O'Brien.... so there should be  a marriage of Bridget Condon to an O'Brien between 1901 and 1912.    The 1901 census records Bridget as Condon so I assume she is single

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05363/4495334.pdf

See replies #4 and #5

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo