Author Topic: Sarah Peacock Woodham Mentmore  (Read 1279 times)

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Peacock Woodham Mentmore
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 May 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi jonw65
You suggestBest match in the baptisms might be
27 Nov 1774, Woodham Mortimer
John Jordan
parents John + Ann
Whereas my ex has John Jordan =Judah Mulley born 1746
Which do you think is the most likely

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
jonw65
The Essex Baptism Index transcript has a question mark before the 24June 1781Little Baddow
Sarah Peacock parents John and Sarah

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's from a tree on ancestry, Thompson Family Tree, I don't know if or how many others say the same thing. As I sometimes say, I don't look at the trees on there as a rule, but it came up in the results for Sarah Peacock born Essex.

It also has a copy of the 1806 marriage, the whole double page of the register in fact. It has been saved by many others. Yes, witnessed by a Sarah Peacock, who signed.

Another Jordan marriage there on the next page to a Lucking - I have both names (not those people though!) in my tree. Jordan is indeed quite a common name in Essex.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 May 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Note that the tree has John Jordan's death as "July 1842" in Maldon.
I think we can say that was a guess, because the new GRO index gives the age as 35. So not likely!

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 May 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
THANKS jonw65
Sorry to trouble you I am having trouble finding this tree can you give me the bit that  refers to Peacocks.I note there were 2 others John and Hannah , John died early in life.
Like you I have found a lot of trees with inaccuracies.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 May 20 10:54 BST (UK) »
On ancestry
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/5032483/person/172171760043/facts

I wouldn't want to comment on the accuracy of the tree, looking at it in more detail it says that John Jordan has an earlier wife, Elizabeth Riley, who he married in 1793.
But the 1806 marriage to Sarah says he was a bachelor!

I think the problem is that there are several John Jordans in the vicinity. It may be that people believe your John is the chap baptized at Woodham Mortimer in 1770 to John and Judith.
There is a John Jordan buried there, 22 Dec 1835, age 69. Could be him. But is it the man who married Sarah Peacock, or is he still alive in 1841 in Danbury?

England, Essex Parish Registers, 1538-1997, on FamilySearch has the baptism of Sarah Peacock,    
24 June 1781, Little Baddow
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDW-9H17

And also the Elizabeth Peacock and James Campion marriage in January 1787. Both single.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDW-2LKP

Of course that may not be connected to your Sarah in Woodham M. The name of the son James may have nothing to do with it. We don't know.
And I haven't seen any sign that Elizabeth had a child before the marriage.
John

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 May 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks jonw65
So my ex has identified Judah rather than Judith it is confusing as there are so many Jordans.We know that Sarah's husband was alive 1n 1841.Your steer to family search requires me to subscribe.Is this entry a transcript or original,I am interested to see  or have the original checked as the transcript questions the date,
I know this might be a goose chase but it is the nearest thing to a lead.
Your input is greatly appreciated

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 May 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
FamilySearch is still free, but you need to register now to see search results. And then to be logged in of course.
It is worth doing if you want to - you are not joining the Mormon church and they won't bother you. Nothing to stop you hiding your identity by using an alias. You need an e-mail or phone number though.
https://www.familysearch.org/register/custom/1

There are some original images on there, such as the Bishop's Transcripts that I gave previously. Not that Essex is well served by BTs!
But it's not perhaps essential if you have access to the parish register transcripts on one of the pay sites.

Ancestry has John Jourden and Judah Mulley, married 22 April 1766 at Woodham Mortimer.
Then for most of the subsequent baptisms they index her name as Judith.

John and Elizabeth Jordan had a daughter Judy baptized 29 July 1804, Woodham Mortimer. Are they the couple who married in 1793.
Interestingly, John and Ann Jordan who had the son John in 1774, as mentioned, then may be the parents of a Judah baptized in Woodham Mortimer in 1775.
John

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 May 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks jonw65