Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 15016 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
(Echoing PharmaT, but I'd already written most of this when she posted)

Sorry Ray but you are totally wrong as the guidance specifically includes -
"for any medical reason, to donate blood, avoid injury or illness, escape risk of harm, provide care or help a vulnerable person"

The reason for leaving London was covered by the above.

In DC's opinion (and yours, it appears). But which of these required him and his family to make that journey? What was there in Durham that couldn't be provided in London? And why is it thought acceptable for him to travel to a distant family property (lucky him - his family happened to have one spare) when other people were explicitly told to stay put?

And Guy - do you consider it to have been within the letter and/or spirit of the guidelines for DC to have returned to work, even though his wife was thought to have COVID-19 symptoms and he was worried that he might also have the virus?

We're not all useful idiots.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #91 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TEENAGERS ARE DOING?

Near where I live there is a large "Village Green", we are just back from walking our dog there and it is awash with Teenagers in groups, 10 boys having a kick about inside the 5 a side enclosure, 6 girls sat chatting plus many, many more

There was even three boys of about 15 sat on one of the benches smoking spliff / Pot / Weed / ganja / cannabis (whatever you want to call it).

A bit disrespectful towards the hundreds of thousands of frontline staff who have been risking their lives to keep these very same inconsiderate youths and their families safe.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Someone who might understand police  in Durham:

Durham’s former chief constable Mike Barton said he believes the force statement used the word “might” in relation to Dominic Cummings breaking the regulations as the police could not be seen to be acting as judge and jury.

He said:

It seems to me that any reasonable observer would see that Mr Cummings has not only broken the spirit of the rules, but also the letter.

This is not Durham in the dock - they are still trying to deal with a national emergency - and this will have been an unwelcome distraction and one they have now dealt with, and they would want the public in the North East to observe the rules, unlike Mr Cummings.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Interesting to read the opinion of the Durham police; opinion is all it is. I would be interested to hear whether that opinion is shared with every other police force between London and Durham. The potential offence was initially committed within the Met’s territory and repeated in several others. Just as, if you’re stopped for speeding at the start of a journey, you’re still expected to stick to the limit for the rest of it.

"for any medical reason, to donate blood, avoid injury or illness, escape risk of harm, provide care or help a vulnerable person"

The dubious part was the Durham to Barnard Castle trip and that is within the jurisdiction of the Durham police force.
Secondly your analogy of a speeding offence is simply a red herring, as every speeding offence is a separate offence. A more accurate one would be if you are stopped in a vehicle with minor defects you are given a defect notice (Form VT5) that protects you for further enforcement on continuation of the journey.

I am sure many people could provide reasonable and legitimate reasons why Dominic Cummings should be sacked but trying to use the two trips in question shows the desperation of a lynch mob.
Cheers
Guy

Sorry Guy, I’m not. For starters, I said “potential” offence; the ultimate arbiter of whether an offence has been commited is the courts. So far, with respect to the trip as far as Durham, we only have the opinion of the Durham police. Other forces along the way might view the situation differently but none has, so far, expressed a view.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:25 BST (UK) »

Near where I live there is a large "Village Green", we are just back from walking our dog there and it is awash with Teenagers in groups, 10 boys having a kick about inside the 5 a side enclosure, 6 girls sat chatting plus many, many more

There was even three boys of about 15 sat on one of the benches smoking spliff / Pot / Weed / ganja / cannabis (whatever you want to call it).

A bit disrespectful towards the hundreds of thousands of frontline staff who have been risking their lives to keep these very same inconsiderate youths and their families safe.

I suggest that phoning 101 will yield a better/more effective response than complaining about this on RC.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 28 May 20 16:30 BST (UK) »

Yes I do, this morning she did maths, then geography, then she went into the garden and did her strength training for her athletics (core, squats etc), then she did biology, then I took her to the doctors, I sat in the car because of the current rules in the surgery but I could see the door and she  couldn't sneak anywhere. THen we went back up the road and she helped me move some furniture because i've been doing a deep clean, now she is sitting at her desk.  She is either doing French or Chemistry but my hip is sore and I've not long sat down so I don't want to get back up.  I can however see she is logged into the school app  and these are the 2 exercises she had left to do for today.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 28 May 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
I'm confused. I'm told I must stay two metres from others outwith my household unless I'm a construction worker who can have close contact for fifteen metres with another worker. The track and tracers will only contact me if I've been closer than two metres of a positive tester for more than fifteen minutes. On this basis why can't I just pass someone on the pavement instead of having to dive into the road?
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 28 May 20 17:21 BST (UK) »

Guy - could you tell me which of the above is the reason DC went to Durham?  If it is 'for any medical reason' I would assume that meant either to visit a local doctor or hospital preferably in an ambulance.  Maybe I'm wrong on this point and most people would consider the best doctor/hospital is 260 miles away.   'Donating blood' has not been mentioned.  'Avoid injury or illness'?  I think the opposite was more likely to happen.  'Escape risk or harm'?  This is supposedly due to the mob outside his house.  Surely a phone call to the police would have been easier.  'Provide care'?  Again, not mentioned.  'Help a vulnerable person'?  Again not mentioned.

Please explain
Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 28 May 20 17:52 BST (UK) »

Oh dear, oh dear, another don’t do as I do.....it seems Mr Ian Blackford MP chose to leave his tax payer funded home in London three days after lockdown.  He travelled 600 miles to Skye in order to isolate away from his wife Ann who has a lung condition.

His Tweet on the 26th - Returned to Skye from Westminster but into isolation as a precaution away from Ann and everyone else given the prevalence of the virus in London.

Article does not say where his wife was at this time, I sincerely hope he hadn’t left her in London whilst he fled the virus himself....Oh, but it’s ok because MPs had the right to return to their homes.  Three days after lock down ?? Tut tut Mr Blackford and there are you calling for DCs resignation or sacking...pots and kettles ?
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins