Author Topic: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/  (Read 15032 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion on Current Situation 2/
« Reply #207 on: Sunday 31 May 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
An article by Peter Bone

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/31/dominic-cummings-should-resign-peter-bone-conservative-mp

Let me first lay to rest some of the more ridiculous accusations that have been laid at the door of those of us who have called for Dominic Cummings to resign. These include: that this is a Remainer conspiracy to help reverse Brexit, that it is a leftwing campaign to destabilise the government, or that it is a coded attack on Boris Johnson.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

guest189040

« Reply #208 on: Sunday 31 May 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
Instead of voicing your anger at each other why not channel it towards your MP.

It is them that have issued guidelines which are unclear.

It is them that failed to act in time to stop the virus from entering the UK.

It is them that have created elements of society who just do not give a damn about anyone other than themselves.

Just take a look at the images of the Dorset coast yesterday at the Durdle Durr to be astonished at the stupidity of the crowds there.

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Sunday 31 May 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
 Whatever happened to good old fashioned journalism when every story was checked... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Weaving...Rodborough,Stroud,Ruscombe.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Sunday 31 May 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at the government stats site which gadget kindly supplied. I'm wondering if I'm going wrong somewhere. I know it's done on governing structures, but it's very hard to tell exactly what's going on. So my interest is in the North East of England, but the lower authority splits it into such difficult ways. So eg You can see Northumberland but only as a county. You can see Newcastle and Gateshead  as separate entries and their figures look way better but it's not comparing like with like. Moving further south, County Durham is just that like Northumberland, one county figure, but Darlington as a sep authority, you can see their figures, as you can with Hartlepool and Middlesborough.
If I wanted to know the risk areas in say Northumberland and County Durham, I'd be none the wiser as to where any hot spots were?
Is there anywhere where the figures are split differently , a bit like you can search for crime rates and crime incidents by postcode?
North East of England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
It's a bit complex but 'broadly'  the  less populous areas are not split down to anything lower than the counties (or the remains of the counties when you take the populous areas away).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_England
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thinking about this more, it might just be possible to go down to top level post codes or EDs (enumeration districts) if addresses were included as part of the coding scheme.

I'm sure this is probably something that they might do if they are going to use area lockdowns in the future.

I've only used this data post hoc when I did analyses of census data in the 1991 and 2001 censuses. I was was sent anonymised data for each ED in Eng and Wales and was then able to analyse and subsequently  group the EDs according to different features.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
Whatever happened to good old fashioned journalism when every story was checked...

It's  the Mail on Sunday! What did you expect? 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:34 BST (UK) »

Well they would'nt print that in the Guardian would they Chas...I'll stick to the Dandy and Beano,much more plausable...The Sun aint a bad comic either for laughs. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Weaving...Rodborough,Stroud,Ruscombe.
 Browning...ditto.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Sunday 31 May 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Derek, I've always regarded you as a good friend and still do. That M on S article is really not an argument that can be used to defend DC. Two wrongs don't make a right and DC has admitted that he did the same and more.