Author Topic: Looking for information on Charles Dickey of Millmount  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Charles Dickey of Millmount
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 13 November 21 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I think William GILLILAN (c1775-1857), son of Hugh GILLILAN (d. 1781) of Ballygarvey, was related to these Dickeys.  His wife was called Clara, and she might have been a daughter of Edward HUDSON and Elizabeth DICKEY mentioned at the top of this post:

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/dickey/2333/

I don’t have proof yet, and my evidence is a little circular, but bear with me.

In 1803, William GILLILAN was a witness in a lease from Thomas DICKEY of Hillhead to John CATHCART of Low Broughshane (probably a cousin of Gilliland’s).  In 1813, John CATHCART sold the lease (Bones’s Farm in Drumfane) to William GILLILAN, then of Ballygarvey.

From 1810-1819, William GILLILAN and Thomas DICKEY were churchwardens in Kirkinriola Parish Church.  In 1816-1817, William GILLILAN shows up in Loughbrickland (presumably something to do with Edward HUDSON junior who apparently died there in about 1817), as one of the assignees connected with the bankruptcy of James and Charles DICKEY.

By the end of 1817, William GILLILAN seems to have been back in Ballymena, but in 1820 he was of Millmount in Randalstown.  Had he bought the property out of bankruptcy?  In 1825 he was living in or near Castledawson, but by 1827 he was in financial difficulties of his own thanks to William TENNENT of Belfast calling in his loan (PRONI D1748/B/1/121).

Children of William GILLILAN and Clara [HUDSON/DICKEY???] identified so far:
-   Rev. Hugh GILLILAN (c1804-1858)
-   Edward Hudson GILLILAN (1806-1882)
-   Jane GILLILAN (1811-1852)
-   Clarissa GILLILAN (c1814-1892)
-   William GILLILAN (c1816-1833)
-   Adam Hudson GILLILAN (c1817-1893)
-   Julia GILLILAN
-   Thomas GILLILAN (c1819-1900)
-   Hercules Ellis GILLILAN (c1821-1875)
-   James Montgomery GILLILAN (1822-1898)
-   Catherine GILLILAN (d. 1885)
-   Eliza GILLILAN (d. 1885)
-   John GILLILAN (c1827-1849)

You can see the Hudson names in there, which is why I think Clara was from that family.  Plus the business connections to the Dickeys.  That is the circular argument bit, because I can’t be 100% sure that William GILLILAN of Ballygarvey is the same man who had all those children.  I’d like to find his marriage to be certain.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 14 November 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just discovered that William Gillilan’s (c1775-1857) mother was Jane Dickey, daughter of Thomas Dickey of Brocklimont…

Book 305 / Page 382 / Number 202539
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-MS9H-9?i=201&cat=185720
Memorial of marriage settlement dated 30th Aug 1774, between Thomas Dickie [Dickey] of Brocklimont, Parish of Ahoghill, linen draper, 1st part; Hugh Gillilan of Ballygarvey, Parish of Kirkinriola, gent, 2nd part.  Marriage intended between Hugh Gillilan and Jane Dickie, eldest daughter of said Thomas Dickie.  Hugh Gillilan gives Jane an annuity of £60 should she survive him without them having issue, or £40 annuity if they have children.  If the annuity from the providing company is insufficient, it is to become chargeable on the half townland of Ballymena and the quarter townland of Mullycanleave [Magheramully?], in the Parish of Skerry.  Witnessed by John Campbell, merchant, and Henry Joy, printer, both of Belfast.  Memorial witnessed by said John Campbell and Henry Joy.  Registered 22nd Nov 1774.

So that explains why William Gillilan was involved in business with the Dickeys – they were presumably cousins rather than in-laws.  I’m not yet sure how the various members of the Dickey family relate to each other.

I did come across an interesting account of the Dickeys and, their origin in Ayrshire, and their assistance to local Catholic families – see footnote on p325, volume 3, of O’Laverty’s Historical Account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern.

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 01:09 BST (UK) »
Jon,

Here’s a link to a marriage settlement in the Irish Register of Deeds, dated 1789, which mentions Adam Dickey of Hollybrook, plus some of his relatives. You might find it helpful.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-R93Z-7?i=462&cat=185720

Hi Elwyn! Apologies for the late reply but I'd put things aside over the past 6 months or so. Thank you for that link. It indeed announces the intended wedding between a John Todd and Mary Dickey, who I believe to be Adam Snr's sister.
I recently came across a Dickey tree on Ancestry.com that went back a further 8 generations (!) from my Adam Snr of Hollybrook. By way of names and some birth/death dates it 'fleshed out' Adam Snr's siblings and parents which is as far back as I need to go. And it gave Charles as a brother to Adam Snr so that was a nice resolution to my pesky question.
There was no supporting documentation for any individuals on that Dickey tree so I'm taking the relationships on good faith.
Best wishes to you!

Offline JonMay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 01:31 BST (UK) »
I think William GILLILAN (c1775-1857), son of Hugh GILLILAN (d. 1781) of Ballygarvey, was related to these Dickeys.  His wife was called Clara, and she might have been a daughter of Edward HUDSON and Elizabeth DICKEY mentioned at the top of this post:

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/dickey/2333/

I don’t have proof yet, and my evidence is a little circular, but bear with me...

In 1803, William GILLILAN was a witness in a lease from Thomas DICKEY of Hillhead to John CATHCART of Low Broughshane (probably a cousin of Gilliland’s).  In 1813, John CATHCART sold the lease (Bones’s Farm in Drumfane) to William GILLILAN, then of Ballygarvey.

From 1810-1819, William GILLILAN and Thomas DICKEY were churchwardens in Kirkinriola Parish Church.  In 1816-1817, William GILLILAN shows up in Loughbrickland (presumably something to do with Edward HUDSON junior who apparently died there in about 1817), as one of the assignees connected with the bankruptcy of James and Charles DICKEY.

By the end of 1817, William GILLILAN seems to have been back in Ballymena, but in 1820 he was of Millmount in Randalstown.  Had he bought the property out of bankruptcy?  In 1825 he was living in or near Castledawson, but by 1827 he was in financial difficulties of his own thanks to William TENNENT of Belfast calling in his loan (PRONI D1748/B/1/121).

Children of William GILLILAN and Clara [HUDSON/DICKEY???] identified so far:
-   Rev. Hugh GILLILAN (c1804-1858)
-   Edward Hudson GILLILAN (1806-1882)
-   Jane GILLILAN (1811-1852)
-   Clarissa GILLILAN (c1814-1892)
-   William GILLILAN (c1816-1833)
-   Adam Hudson GILLILAN (c1817-1893)
-   Julia GILLILAN
-   Thomas GILLILAN (c1819-1900)
-   Hercules Ellis GILLILAN (c1821-1875)
-   James Montgomery GILLILAN (1822-1898)
-   Catherine GILLILAN (d. 1885)
-   Eliza GILLILAN (d. 1885)
-   John GILLILAN (c1827-1849)

You can see the Hudson names in there, which is why I think Clara was from that family.  Plus the business connections to the Dickeys.  That is the circular argument bit, because I can’t be 100% sure that William GILLILAN of Ballygarvey is the same man who had all those children.  I’d like to find his marriage to be certain.

Hello Gilby - nice sleuthing there. When Charles and James became bankrupt, Charles's Millmount property was listed among the chattels to be sold (I have the newspaper clipping) so it may well have been picked up by William GILLILAN.
Adam and Charles Dickey did have a sister named Clara but I have no dates for her, and the name may be a  coincidence.