Author Topic: Shielders  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shielders
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
So, we went on a long walk to the top of a local hill this morning.
It seems to have got steeper & further away whilst we have been in lockdown!

In the end we didn't bother wearing our masks.
We passed about a dozen people during the walk -- and were able to maintain a suitable distance between us.

We plan to take a walk along on or other of the local footpaths daily if we can. We will continue to avoid supermarkets, shops and anywhere remotely busy.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
A non-medical face mask doesn't do a great deal to protect you from the coronavirus. The size of any virus compared to the pore size is so miniscule it's basically not there.

You'd be be better getting a bucket of kippers and pinning them to yourself before going out. That way people would avoid you.

;D I'll ask the fishmonger for a regular delivery.
Cowban

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 08:02 BST (UK) »
A non-medical face mask doesn't do a great deal to protect you from the coronavirus. The size of any virus compared to the pore size is so miniscule it's basically not there.

You'd be be better getting a bucket of kippers and pinning them to yourself before going out. That way people would avoid you.

;D I'll ask the fishmonger for a regular delivery.

I'm vegetarian. What can I use?

Seriously, the only mask that will give me protection is a properly fitted N95 or similar mask.
Regular surgical masks that a lot of people seem to wear are effective for a very limited time only.
Masks are also only effective if used properly, that is, not pulled down at the front to eat or talk, then pushed back up again, put on and taken off correctly, etc, etc.

However, face coverings made from material are not intended to protect the user.

My face covering protects you, your face covering protects me.

Limited protection, admitted, but if it became the norm, I think that protection would be increased.

I cannot get a properly fit tested N95 mask, nor do I want one. Disposable masks are going for ridiculous prices, and are of limited use for a short period of time.

A cloth face covering offers similar benefits to a surgical mask that has been on for prolonged periods.

On a different tack, has anyone seen the surgical masks discarded in the street and countryside? Akin to collecting dog droppings in a bag, then discarding the bag on the ground, or hanging it from a tree.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
I made a mask, was very pleased with it, I have worn it if I have been out, think it might be a comfort feeling but I forgot it on Saturday in the supermarket, I only noticed one young couple both with masks, not so may wearing masks now, I will still wear mine

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 14:42 BST (UK) »

Seagulls may be a little problematic though.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 16:19 BST (UK) »

Seagulls may be a little problematic though.
 :)

We don't want bird flu on top of everything else.
Cowban

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 June 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Daily briefing
Face coverings will be made mandatory on public transport from 15 June in England, announced by Grant Schapps.

I'll order my vegetarian kippers tonight.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 June 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
It's OK, Margaret. He said that if you forget there will be free ones available at stations.

I'm not sure about buses though.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 June 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Stupid question - do these "compulsory masks" have to comply to regulations?  And if so, which regulations?

I need to know as I have a hospital appointment on 17 June and whilst OH will have to take me there, I am hoping that I can return via public transport as parking at or near the hospital is diabolical.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY