Author Topic: Johanna Stanley - John William Gray - Aboriginal NSW?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline wdlocky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johanna Stanley - John William Gray - Aboriginal NSW?
« on: Sunday 31 May 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think I've hit the end of my family journey.  I have been unsuccessful in finding more on the one family line that I wanted to find out about.

I have been trying to find Ada Jane Gray's (b 1887 Dubbo, d. 1945 Innisfail) parents lines.  I have found quite a few brothers and sisters of Ada as well as her marriages and other children and partners, but nothing on her parents.  I have a death certificate for Johanna Stanley which states she was born "Near Gray River, New Zealand", but we assume that may be another fib as I cannot find anything for her in NZ.

Johanna Stanley b. abt 1860, died 24 Jun 1898 Qld, parents John Stanley and Mary Raymond
and
John William Gray, m. 1876 wellington, nsw (no proof of this though, just what was written on a death certificate.

We assume that both were of Aboriginal descent as we have found a brother and a niece of Ada Jane Gray who were "Native" and "uncontrollable Aboriginal".  It also appears that Ada (although stating born in Dubbo in her first marriage) has stated in her later second marriage that she was from "Mexico".

I believe that John Gray (Ada's father) was perhaps living at Apsley Mission in NSW (Black's camp) as when he buried a son in Dubbo in 1886, the witness to that burial was a person who is named at that camp - Charles Campbell.  There was also a John Stanley at that camp at one stage.

I have looked through the AITSIS data and cannot find anything either.

Does anyone have any idea on where else I can search for this difficult line?

Thanks
Deb

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Stanley - John William Gray - Aboriginal NSW?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 03:39 BST (UK) »
I will ask one of our volunteer global moderators to move this thread to the Australia board.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 06:26 BST (UK) »
maybe something to have a look at
Mary Raymond born 1828 - arrived New South Wales 28th March 1849 aged 21 - Assisted Immigrant Passenger
could that be your Mary Raymond ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline wdlocky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
maybe something to have a look at
Mary Raymond born 1828 - arrived New South Wales 28th March 1849 aged 21 - Assisted Immigrant Passenger
could that be your Mary Raymond ??

Thanks for that.  I don't believe so.  I have found the children of this Mary Raymond and Johanna Stanley is not one of them.  I believe there was a Mary Raymond who was a missionary at Apsley Mission or another mission in Dubbo/Wellington NSW area and that Johanna Stanley was an aboriginal girl there, who later in life said her mother's name was Mary Raymond?  We can't find any connection there at all and know that was a common thing to do.  Johanna also stated later in life that she was a "Mauri Princess" from "near Gray River, NZ", which the family believed was not true.  Her daughter also lied and even though she was born in Dubbo and said that early on, she stated in second marriage that she was born in Mexico.
We have found a John Stanley (maybe her father?) in the Aboriginal's camp in Wellington on the 1903 electoral roll.

Offline Bev Munro

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb
My Great Great Grandmother was Johanna Stanley from around Wellington. Her daughter Sarah (born around 1842) was my Great Grandmother and I have noticed on Ancestry that some others list a sister called Johanna, although she also had a sister Eliza who was born around 1833. Sarah married John Burns in Wellington around 1865 and Eliza married Charles Seymour in 1858. They also had a brother, John Stanley who was born around 1840. He had at least two children, Matilda and William.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) ;) :)

I am sure that's great info for our original poster, and I mention that if you want to contact her directly to swap or share etc etc, you will need to make a couple more replies.... just say Hi (in two separate posts) is sufficient to give you full access to Private Messaging ....

So may I just mention that earlier in this thread there was mention that a birthplace was recorded as Mexico on a second marriage, and that 'fact' seemed to contradict info showing born in NSW ... I wonder if it ought to have been recorded as 'New Mexico' ... that's in NSW,  postcode 2346  ;D up near Manilla  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 07:29 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=830665.0
Johanna STANLEY/Jane Ada GRAY/ John William GRAY – Dubbo Area

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832796.0  Ada GRAY, Parramatta Girls Home

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=342595.0  DALEY in Wellington with mention of STANLEY and others and an excellent link to a website by an RChatter with resources and research ... here it is :  www.armidalehistory.com

Also some further info here :  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,446687.0.html

Cheers,  JM